26/06/13 06:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The former South African president Nelson Mandela remains in a critical condition in a Pretoria hospital where he’s being treated for a lung infection.
The 94-year-old continues to have visitors but concern is growing.
Senior members of his family met with tribal leaders in his ancestral home in the remote Eastern Cape province to discuss “sensitive family matters”. No details were disclosed.
Meanwhile a meeting between Mandela and US President Barack Obama who arrives in South Africa on Friday, has been ruled out.
“President Obama would have loved to see President Mandela but he is indisposed,” said International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane.
“Arrangements have been made as per his request and his family to visit Robben Island and if all goes well maybe to interact with his foundation. This is very much in line with our tradition.”
A resident made a symbolic gesture outside the hospital in Pretoria by releasing several doves representing freedom. He did it to illustrate how much Mandela is revered as the architect of South Africa’s transition to a multi-racial democracy after three centuries of white oppression.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 18:17 CET Republican Christie’s U.S. presidential campaign in trouble
- 18:16 CET German train crash investigators focus on signal controller -…
- 18:14 CET Iraqi PM’s bid to reshuffle cabinet could cost him his job
- 18:11 CET French Foreign Minister Fabius leaves office, wider reshuffle due
- 18:00 CET Portugal parliament overturns veto on adoption by gay couples
- 17:55 CET Tusk confident of EU deal for Britain next week
- 17:44 CET Sudan summons U.S. envoy over Darfur sanctions draft resolution
- 17:33 CET Syrian rebels demand U.S. action ahead of peace talks