25/06/13 06:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Nelson Mandela’s family have kept up a steady presence at the ailing 94-year-old’s hospital bedside in Pretoria where he is being treated for a lung infection.
Since his condition deteriorated at the weekend there has been no change in the former president’s health, which is still described as critical.
Speaking from Qunu, Eastern Cape, his grandson Mandla Mandela expressed the family’s gratitude to well wishers.
“We’ve been grateful to South Africans and people of the global community who have showered the family with prayers and we are hoping that my grandfather will recover steadily.”
At both his homes in the Eastern Cape and in Johannesburg cards and flowers are being laid by those wishing the anti-apartheid hero well.
“It feels like this is our last chance to actually show him what he means to us as a nation and to say our goodbyes,” said one Johannesburg resident.Two small girls said “ We’ve just come to pray for Mandela, so he gets well soon.”
“And so that he can come back to this beautiful nation and help us again.”
Madiba, as he is affectionately known, is revered among most of South Africa’s 53 million people who consider him to be the father of the nation.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Wires > News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:58 CET Air strikes on camp for displaced Syrians kill 28, monitor says
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…