25/06/13 06:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Nelson Mandela’s family have kept up a steady presence at the ailing 94-year-old’s hospital bedside in Pretoria where he is being treated for a lung infection.
Since his condition deteriorated at the weekend there has been no change in the former president’s health, which is still described as critical.
Speaking from Qunu, Eastern Cape, his grandson Mandla Mandela expressed the family’s gratitude to well wishers.
“We’ve been grateful to South Africans and people of the global community who have showered the family with prayers and we are hoping that my grandfather will recover steadily.”
At both his homes in the Eastern Cape and in Johannesburg cards and flowers are being laid by those wishing the anti-apartheid hero well.
“It feels like this is our last chance to actually show him what he means to us as a nation and to say our goodbyes,” said one Johannesburg resident.Two small girls said “ We’ve just come to pray for Mandela, so he gets well soon.”
“And so that he can come back to this beautiful nation and help us again.”
Madiba, as he is affectionately known, is revered among most of South Africa’s 53 million people who consider him to be the father of the nation.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Boris backs out – Gove goes for it – May may have it as race for number 10 gets underway
Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
UK: who are the Famous Five?
Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
Istanbul attack: suspects ‘from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’
Wires > News
- 19:19 CET U.N. rights council creates role of expert to protect LGBT people
- 19:17 CET U.N. peacekeeping mission leaves Liberia after 13 years
- 19:16 CET Fire in Kuwait villa kills nine people
- 19:15 CET Violence, settlements, Gaza undermine hope for Mideast peace – U.N.
- 19:11 CET Two of three German A400M planes grounded due to engine issues -…
- 18:56 CET PM’s right-hand man under fire as Slovakia takes on EU presidency
- 18:46 CET Canada confirms will give troops for eastern European NATO force
- 18:31 CET In Egypt, Sisi’s star fades as problems pile up