25/06/13 20:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The UN and Arab League’s joint international mediator Lakhdar Brahimi has cast further doubt on any peace talks taking place next month over ending the war in Syria.
Speaking ahead of meeting senior American and Russian officials in Geneva, Brahimi voiced deep concern that any chance of a deal was slipping away.
“I doubt whether the conference will take place in July. I very, very much hope that governments in the region and the big powers, particularly the United States and Russia will act to contain this situation that is getting out of hand, not only in Syria but also in the region,” Brahimi said.
Saudi Arabia has also added its condemnation of Iran and Hezbollah’s role in the conflict.
During a press conference with the US Secretary of State John Kerry, the Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal said the rebels must be offered military aid to defend themselves.
Although there remains no consensus over the supply of arms to the insurgents, there is widespread agreement among the “Friends of Syria” that more humanitarian support is needed.
More than 93,000 people have been killed during the conflict and some 1.7 million people have fled into neighbouring countries, including Lebanon.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Six days on, survivors are found in collapsed Kenya building
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Wires > News
- 01:34 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, US condemns Assad statement
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…