24/06/13 19:07 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Albania’s two main political factions are both claiming victory in the country’s tense parliamentary elections.
With around ten percent of the votes counted, unofficial results put the Socialist-led coalition of Edi Rama in the lead.
The Central Election Commission, which is overseeing the vote, has not announced a result.
Opposition leader Rama has pledged to replicate his success as mayor of the capital Tirana throughout Albania’s lacklustre economy.
He has also promised to re-invigorate Albania’s stalled bid to join the European Union if he wins.
If Rama wins, it would deny Prime Minister Sali Berisha an unprecedented third term.
Berisha’s ruling Democratic Party also claimed to have won the vote.
Many fear that a disputed result would set back the Albania’s EU ambitions once again.
Election day was marred by violence. An opposition party activist was shot dead near a polling station in Lac, in Albania’s north-east.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…
- 17:32 CET West Africa pirates switch to kidnapping crew as oil fetches less
- 17:29 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in northern Iraq
- 17:23 CET Rebels launch assault in Syria’s Aleppo, diplomats strain to…
- 16:52 CET Turkish Nobel laureate says Erdogan’s insult charges aimed at…
- 16:40 CET Canada’s government has trouble detecting citizenship fraud -…