24/06/13 19:07 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Albania’s two main political factions are both claiming victory in the country’s tense parliamentary elections.
With around ten percent of the votes counted, unofficial results put the Socialist-led coalition of Edi Rama in the lead.
The Central Election Commission, which is overseeing the vote, has not announced a result.
Opposition leader Rama has pledged to replicate his success as mayor of the capital Tirana throughout Albania’s lacklustre economy.
He has also promised to re-invigorate Albania’s stalled bid to join the European Union if he wins.
If Rama wins, it would deny Prime Minister Sali Berisha an unprecedented third term.
Berisha’s ruling Democratic Party also claimed to have won the vote.
Many fear that a disputed result would set back the Albania’s EU ambitions once again.
Election day was marred by violence. An opposition party activist was shot dead near a polling station in Lac, in Albania’s north-east.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Taiwan: at least 8 killed as earthquake brings down several buildings
US primaries: Trump leading Republican pack, Sanders gaining on Clinton
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Wires > News
- 14:20 CET Explosion kills eight, injures dozens in Pakistan city of Quetta
- 14:12 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 13:35 CET British member of Vatican sexual abuse commission leaves
- 13:18 CET Australia to step up Zika testing as two new cases reported
- 13:07 CET Syria signals no ceasefire before borders with Turkey, Jordan shut
- 12:30 CET Nigerians have image problem abroad, hampers emigration to West -…
- 12:27 CET Merkel urges better protection of EU external borders
- 11:24 CET Three British troops injured in covert operation in Iraq – Mirror