A new opera house has opened in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan.
The design of the building – a mix of Greco-Roman classicism and Baroque – was by a group of international architects.
It is the latest architectural project in the city which only became capital in 1997. A reported eight percent of the national budget has been spent on government buildings, a massive home for the president, and numerous monuments in Astana.
Tolgen Mukhamedzhanov, director of Astana Opera explained the thinking behind the opera house project: “We want to create an excellent artistic atmosphere inside the theatre. We have a wonderful chamber hall for 250 seats. Our artists will mainly rehearse and work there. I want every musician to become a solo performer, to be able to master their craft and express their feelings.”
It is actually Astana’s second opera house in just a few years – the city’s glass-and-granite Pyramid of Peace and Accord also houses a opera house.
This new 1,500 seat theatre includes a ballet school and museum.
Soprano Nurzhamel Ussembayeva said: “The opening of ‘Astana Opera’ is a great event in the cultural life of not only Kazakhstan, but of the world. It is a unique theatre with rare decoration, richness and elegance. I think it will establish itself as one of the top theatres of the world. “
“Birzhan and Sara”, a Kazakh opera officially opened the theatre, which hopes to stage two ballets and two operas a year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank