A new opera house has opened in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan.
The design of the building – a mix of Greco-Roman classicism and Baroque – was by a group of international architects.
It is the latest architectural project in the city which only became capital in 1997. A reported eight percent of the national budget has been spent on government buildings, a massive home for the president, and numerous monuments in Astana.
Tolgen Mukhamedzhanov, director of Astana Opera explained the thinking behind the opera house project: “We want to create an excellent artistic atmosphere inside the theatre. We have a wonderful chamber hall for 250 seats. Our artists will mainly rehearse and work there. I want every musician to become a solo performer, to be able to master their craft and express their feelings.”
It is actually Astana’s second opera house in just a few years – the city’s glass-and-granite Pyramid of Peace and Accord also houses a opera house.
This new 1,500 seat theatre includes a ballet school and museum.
Soprano Nurzhamel Ussembayeva said: “The opening of ‘Astana Opera’ is a great event in the cultural life of not only Kazakhstan, but of the world. It is a unique theatre with rare decoration, richness and elegance. I think it will establish itself as one of the top theatres of the world. “
“Birzhan and Sara”, a Kazakh opera officially opened the theatre, which hopes to stage two ballets and two operas a year.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
latest le mag news
The Dark Years – an exhibition in Berlin of art during the years of the Second World War
Pentatonix riding a wave of success
‘Madame Bovary’ and the danger inherent in art
‘Under Japanese influence’ Sukita’s Bowie photos on show
‘Hip-Hop Nutcracker’ Tchaikovsky meets urban street dance