19/06/13 19:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A group of Syrian rebels has claimed responsibility in a video for killing four Shi’ites in Lebanon this week – another example of how Syria’s civil war is spreading into its neighbour.
One of those in the film says they were killed by the “Syrian Mujahideen Unit” as they were trying to enter Syria, and claims the men were from Hezbollah.
The Lebanese militant group has actively helped President al-Assad in his battle against a mostly Sunni Muslim revolt.
On Tuesday simmering tensions spilled over in the southern Lebanese city of Sidon, as militants supporting opposing sides clashed. At least one person is said to have died, with several injured.
Tripoli in the north, Lebanon’s second city, has been at the forefront of sectarian clashes between supporters and opponents of the Syrian government.
Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley near the border has also seen heightened tension; the area is home both to Sunnis who support Syrian rebels, and Shi’ites who back Assad.
Lebanon has accused Assad’s forces of driving Sunni Muslims into its territory.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Several trapped, 1 dead, in eastern Ukraine mine blast
Russia boosts western border defence with new divisions
The plight of Syrian refugees born in Lebanon and who could become stateless
Donald Trump set for Republican nomination
EU Commission calls for Schengen zone visa-free travel for Turks
Wires > News
- 17:01 CET South Africa’s Zuma unfazed after EFF party ejected from parliament
- 16:58 CET Insight – Saudi prince makes bold challenges to kingdom’s old ways
- 16:44 CET Death toll in Kenya building collapse rises to 26
- 16:39 CET EU proposes visa-free travel for Kosovo citizens
- 16:32 CET Wildfire destroys homes in Canadian city; 80,000 ordered evacuated
- 16:16 CET Insight – How Zuma, the smiling spy, controls South Africa
- 16:06 CET Protesters burn schools in South Africa’s Limpopo province
- 15:55 CET Syria withholds aid to 900,000 people, risks new siege in Aleppo -…