The next full moon will fall on June 23 and it’s a rather special one. It will not only be the largest full moon of the year, it will also be the moon’s closest encounter with Earth for all of 2013.
In other words, it won’t just be a supermoon, it will be the closest supermoon of the year, and such proximity to our planet will not be repeated again until August 2014.
Astronomers call this a perigee full moon. The word perigee describes the moon’s closest point to Earth for a given month.
Two years ago, when the closest and largest full moon fell on March 19, 2011, many used the term supermoon, which we’d never heard before. Last year, we heard this term again to describe the year’s closest full moon on May 6, 2012.
Now the term supermoon is being used with greater frequency. Last month’s full moon – on May 24-25 – was also a supermoon. But the June full moon will be even more super! The closer the timing of a full moon to the time of perigee, the closer the moon will be to Earth. This month, the crest of the moon’s full phase and the perigee fall within an hour of each other.
For many, the moon will appear about as full on the evening of June 22nd as on the evening of the 23rd.
What does “supermoon” mean exactly?
Until a few years ago, the term was not often used in astronomy. To the best of our knowledge, the term supermoon was coined by the astrologer Richard Nolle over 30 years ago, but is only now coming into popular usage.
Nolle has defined a supermoon as “a new or full moon which occurs with the moon at or near (within 90 percent of) its closest approach to Earth in a given orbit”.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid