Six soldiers have been killed after violence broke out between armed protesters and Libyan special forces.
The violence happened outside a special forces base in the city of Benghazi on Saturday. A military official confirmed the deaths.
Local residents said the men had earlier forced their way into another army compound to steal weapons. It was not immediately clear who the protesters were or what they wanted.
Last week at least 31 people were killed and 100 injured in clashes between armed protesters and militia in the city.
The stand off was with members of the Libya Shield Brigade, made up of former rebel fighters and now aligning itself with the Defence Ministry.
The protesters were demanding that the militia lay down their arms and be replaced with Libya’s regular security forces.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.