Follow our daily selection of the best and worst of the Internet.
- We did not pick a famous birthday to celebrate for June 14, but we still want to keep that day in mind as it is World Blood Donor Day, organised by the World Health Organization. If you feel inspired to donate, look up a blood donation centre in your area.
- As his doctors announce ‘Madiba’ is getting better, children at a Johannesburg school celebrate Nelson Mandela’s life, and explain how he is a hero for each and every one of them.
- June 14 is election day in Iran, and when the US administration expressed its concerns that the elections might be manipulated, Supreme Leader Khamenei responded by stating his country “doesn’t give a damn”.
- The United States is again in mourning after yet another murder/suicide shooting, which happened on June 13 in St Louis, Missouri. Here is an article that sums up interesting data on the history of mass shootings in the country.
- And to start the weekend on a fluffy note, here is a study the BBC carried out in partnership with a veterinary college on what cats are up to when you are not around.