As Iranians went to the polls to choose their next President, so too did the six candidates wanting to replace outgoing leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Cleric Hassan Rohani, considered to be the only moderate in the race, cast his vote in Shahr-e-Rey, south of Teheran on Friday morning.
None of the candidates are seen as challenging the Islamic Republic’s 34-year-old system of clerical rule.
Tehran Mayor and presidential candidate, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, has pledged to keep pursuing Iran’s nuclear intentions.
Saeed Jalili, Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator, is seen as the main conservative contender. He wants to continue with the current foreign policy.
Ali Akbar Velayati, the former foreign minister and adviser of Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is another conservative candidate, backing Iran’s nuclear plans.
Arguably Iran’s most important vote is that of its supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who makes all major decisions in the country, including the direction of foreign policy.
Millions of Iranians turned out to vote, urged to come out in force to discredit suggestions by the United States that the election would be unfair.
Security is tight with arrests and curbs on activists and journalists ahead of the polls.
The full results of the election could take up to 3 days to come in.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges