As Iranians went to the polls to choose their next President, so too did the six candidates wanting to replace outgoing leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Cleric Hassan Rohani, considered to be the only moderate in the race, cast his vote in Shahr-e-Rey, south of Teheran on Friday morning.
None of the candidates are seen as challenging the Islamic Republic’s 34-year-old system of clerical rule.
Tehran Mayor and presidential candidate, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, has pledged to keep pursuing Iran’s nuclear intentions.
Saeed Jalili, Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator, is seen as the main conservative contender. He wants to continue with the current foreign policy.
Ali Akbar Velayati, the former foreign minister and adviser of Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is another conservative candidate, backing Iran’s nuclear plans.
Arguably Iran’s most important vote is that of its supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who makes all major decisions in the country, including the direction of foreign policy.
Millions of Iranians turned out to vote, urged to come out in force to discredit suggestions by the United States that the election would be unfair.
Security is tight with arrests and curbs on activists and journalists ahead of the polls.
The full results of the election could take up to 3 days to come in.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Wires > News
- 20:24 CET Suspect named in rampage at Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic
- 20:22 CET Greek PM fails to get opposition backing on pension reform
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group
- 19:59 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 19:35 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas
- 18:22 CET Protesters delay German minister on train to Paris climate talks
- 17:42 CET Kremlin says Putin ‘fully mobilised’ to tackle threat from Turkey