A map of China, unlike any other. One of the most recent works from Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei on display in Hong Kong uses 1,800 large tins of infant formula, arranged to form a 80 metre square map of the country.
The work is a response to China’s 2008 baby milk scandal, when Chinese-made milk was contaminated by the industrial chemical melamine, killing at least six infants and poisoning 300,000 others.
The controversial artist, who has often fallen foul of the authorities in China, said: “Most enterprises like these, which manufacture products with bad food safety are all state owned, and they monopolise the management of society’s food, and also profit the most. When national enterprises like these have such a big problem under the country’s own management, regulations and supervision, it’s the country’s officials who should bear the greatest responsibility.”
According to the show’s curators in Hong Kong, Weiwei’s new artwork is more complex than it initially appears.
Cosmin Costinas spoke about its multi-layered meaning: “This can also be read as an exploration of the landscape of fear in Hong Kong – a fear of the others, a fear of the mainland Chinese coming and invading and grabbing something from Hong Kong.”
Panic buying of milk powder by mainland Chinese mums increased tensions in Hong Kong and led authorities in the former British colony to enact a two-tin limit on exports for fear of supplies running out for locals.
Last year, over 30 million mainland Chinese visited the tiny territory, almost four times the city’s population.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
latest le mag news
Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
The Dark Years – an exhibition in Berlin of art during the years of the Second World War
Pentatonix riding a wave of success
‘Madame Bovary’ and the danger inherent in art
‘Under Japanese influence’ Sukita’s Bowie photos on show