Everyday, follow our selection of the best and worst the Internet can produce.
- Last night, Greek public broadcaster, ERT was shut down, to save money on the public budget. The screen went dark at midnight in Greece. The only remaining vestige is their website. It is still unclear whether the 2,656 employees will resume their positions, and how the government will handle a new public television broadcaster.
- June 12th 1890 saw the first day on Earth for Austrian painter Egon Schiele. He who had Gustav Klimt for a mentor succeeded in becoming as famous as his master, and today would be the perfect occasion to take another look at his most famous masterpieces.
- When 13 (soon 14) countries legalized same-sex marriage, Russia, always swimming against the tide, recently passed a bill outlawing “the propaganda of homosexuality and pedophilia amongst minors”.
- From one ban to another, Russia announced the lift of its alcohol ban during the 2018 World Cup. It was a sanitary measure meant to fight massive youth alcoholism, but Russia had to give in to pressure from the FIFA committee.
- To end with a humorous tone, let’s have a look at this news-related tumblr, which compiles pictures of President Obama looking at computers, probably spying on you, as well as Edward Snowden, the whistleblower exposed a few days ago.