12/06/13 16:59 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
As demonstrations continue in Athens over the sudden closure of state broadcaster ERT, opposition political parties and unions are urging the government to reverse its decision.
The European Broadcasting Union also called on Prime Minister Antonio Samaras to rethink the order, and set up a makeshift station in ERT’s car park.
MEPs have also expressed their dismay with the European Commission’s role in the troika’s handling of the Greek bailout conditions.
The co-leader of the European Greens, Daniel Cohn-Bendit asked: “Is it true that the European Commission called on its troika representative to ask that the Greek public broadcaster be shut down?”
Olli Rehn, Vice-President of the European Commission, Commissioner for Economic and Monetary Affairs answered: “Greece, like all European countries needs media pluralism, media freedom and media quality. We welcome the commitment of the Greek government to launch a media actor that fulfils the important role of public broadcasting and is financially sustainable.”
The Greek government have promised a new slimline ERT rebranded as the New Hellenic Radio Internet and Television (or NERIT), which will be set up by the end of August.
Journalists have warned strikes will continue on Thursday.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…