The Russian parliament has voted almost unanimously to pass a law to punish the promotion of homosexuality with fines and jail terms.
436 deputies voted in favour and none against. There was one abstention.
The law – condemned by gay rights campaigners – bans what it calls the “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations” to minors. The word “homosexual” was removed from the text but in parliament one of the law’s backers said “traditional” relations were between a man and a woman.
“It outlaws the spreading of information aimed at forming non-traditional sexual attitudes among children,” said Duma deputy Elena Mizulina.
She also confirmed that it would become an offence to say that gay and straight relationships were equal. “A distorted perception”, she added.
Under the law people can be fined up to a maximum of over 2,000 euros if the offence is committed via the media. Foreigners who promote homosexuality can be fined, detained for 15 days and deported.
Outside the Duma, gay activists were heavily outnumbered by the law’s supporters.
“Of course I will never support this law, because it outlaws a certain group. It divides people into equal and unequal, so same-sex couples automatically fall into the wrong category,” said Marta, one of the bill’s opponents.
In clashes between the rival groups, about 20 gay activists were arrested. One was photographed nearby being kicked by a schoolboy.
Human Rights Watch has condemned the law for discrimination and a violation of rights.
Activists claim anti-gay violence has increased; Russian authorities say two recent murders could be linked to homophobia.
The bill now goes to the Senate before being signed into law by President Vladimir Putin – steps considered to be a formality.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 4Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 5Kentucky official jailed for refusing to recognise gay marriages
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Central European leaders underline opposition to migrant quotas
Five injured as fire tears through refugee shelter in Germany
Austrian lorry: 71 victims suffocated almost immediately say police
Aylan: Kobani awash with tears as the toddler, his brother and mother are buried
Hungarian ‘Freedom Train’ stationary for a second day
Wires > News
- 19:53 CET U.N.-backed anti-graft body to probe ex-Guatemala leader’s assets
- 19:39 CET Iranian official says there are ways to free U.S. journalist – NPR
- 19:37 CET At least 10 killed in armed attacks in Tajikistan, U.S. embassy…
- 19:34 CET U.S., allies conduct 21 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 19:05 CET After Iran deal, EU bids to restart Israel-Palestinian talks
- 18:36 CET Central African Republic warlords must face justice – U.N. rights…
- 18:28 CET Refugee girl who Merkel made cry has residency permit extended
- 18:25 CET Italy’s Renzi completes labour reform, growth needed for jobs