10/06/13 01:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
American F-16 jets are set to tear across Jordanian skies as part of joint military exercises involving troops from the US, Britain and several Arab countries.
The so-called “Eager Lion” drills have been condemned by Russia which accuses the West of fanning the conflict in Syria with its border less then 120 kilometres away.
Jordan which has lent support to Syria’s rebels is nervous that the fighting will spill over and ignite a regional conflict.
The success last week of Syrian government forces in the routing of rebels from the key strategic city of Qusair is seen by many as a boost for the regime.
Both Russia and the US are still pushing for a Geneva peace conference, though there is still no agreed date.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
Wires > News
- 02:24 CET Expanded Panama Canal – Bigger ships, bigger paydays for beans…
- 00:44 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 22:42 CET Colombia to offer tax breaks for development under peace deal
- 21:00 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 20:40 CET South Sudan forces, armed groups clash, displacing civilians – U.N
- 20:15 CET Belgium arrests two over ‘terrorist’ activity
- 19:58 CET Nine drown when boat capsizes in Kenya
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea