10/06/13 01:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
American F-16 jets are set to tear across Jordanian skies as part of joint military exercises involving troops from the US, Britain and several Arab countries.
The so-called “Eager Lion” drills have been condemned by Russia which accuses the West of fanning the conflict in Syria with its border less then 120 kilometres away.
Jordan which has lent support to Syria’s rebels is nervous that the fighting will spill over and ignite a regional conflict.
The success last week of Syrian government forces in the routing of rebels from the key strategic city of Qusair is seen by many as a boost for the regime.
Both Russia and the US are still pushing for a Geneva peace conference, though there is still no agreed date.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Peru: Tens of thousands hold anti-Fujimori rally ahead of presidential poll
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Costa Concordia captain has appeal rejected
Wires > News
- 09:12 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 08:55 CET Dead tigers found in Thai temple amid trafficking fears
- 08:40 CET Japan PM delaying sales tax rise, fiscal reform on back burner
- 08:34 CET Turkish PM Yildirim says German vote on Armenian killings…
- 08:25 CET Turkish army kills 14 Islamic State militants near Aleppo
- 07:24 CET Thailand jails country singer for seven years in royal insult case
- 07:18 CET Peru’s Kuczynski backs out of plans to join anti-Fujimori rally
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says