10/06/13 01:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
American F-16 jets are set to tear across Jordanian skies as part of joint military exercises involving troops from the US, Britain and several Arab countries.
The so-called “Eager Lion” drills have been condemned by Russia which accuses the West of fanning the conflict in Syria with its border less then 120 kilometres away.
Jordan which has lent support to Syria’s rebels is nervous that the fighting will spill over and ignite a regional conflict.
The success last week of Syrian government forces in the routing of rebels from the key strategic city of Qusair is seen by many as a boost for the regime.
Both Russia and the US are still pushing for a Geneva peace conference, though there is still no agreed date.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 3Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Wires > News
- 08:23 CET Bangladesh Islamist party leader to hang for war crimes
- 08:20 CET City where Soviet workers rose up stays calm in Russian crisis
- 08:00 CET Syria’s Aleppo relatively calm as truce takes effect – residents
- 05:14 CET Panama confirms four microcephaly cases tied to Zika
- 05:00 CET Mexico justice reform needs 11 years to fully take hold – study
- 04:30 CET Australian Islamic State recruiter killed in U.S. strike in Iraq
- 03:15 CET Stubborn Shanghai residents hold a line drawn in rubble
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom