10/06/13 01:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
American F-16 jets are set to tear across Jordanian skies as part of joint military exercises involving troops from the US, Britain and several Arab countries.
The so-called “Eager Lion” drills have been condemned by Russia which accuses the West of fanning the conflict in Syria with its border less then 120 kilometres away.
Jordan which has lent support to Syria’s rebels is nervous that the fighting will spill over and ignite a regional conflict.
The success last week of Syrian government forces in the routing of rebels from the key strategic city of Qusair is seen by many as a boost for the regime.
Both Russia and the US are still pushing for a Geneva peace conference, though there is still no agreed date.
Wires > News
- 17:03 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 16:36 CET Big cats removed from Thailand’s infamous Tiger Temple
- 16:35 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:20 CET Bodies of U.S. climbers left on Tibetan peak out of respect
- 16:16 CET Mauritius ramps up security after gunshots fired on French embassy
- 15:53 CET Former Chad president Habre found guilty of crimes against humanity
- 15:49 CET Four people killed in flooding and storms in southwestern Germany