Malta’s former European Commissioner John Dalli will face no criminal charges over a lobbying scandal, Maltese police said on Monday.
Officials argue there is insufficient evidence to prosecute Dalli.
He has always denied seeking bribes to meet with tobacco industry figures and insists his resignation was forced upon him.
A European Commission spokeswoman said that the EU executive’s position has not changed.
She told reporters in Brussels Dalli did in fact resign because his position was no longer “politically tenable” following an investigation by the EU’s anti fraud unit, OLAF.
The OLAF probe led by its head Giovanni Kessler prompted European Commission president José Manuel Barroso to call for Dalli’s resignation.
Kessler will in the European Parliament on June 18th to answer charges from MEPs that the investigation was poorly carried out and a breach of EU law.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news