Malta’s former European Commissioner John Dalli will face no criminal charges over a lobbying scandal, Maltese police said on Monday.
Officials argue there is insufficient evidence to prosecute Dalli.
He has always denied seeking bribes to meet with tobacco industry figures and insists his resignation was forced upon him.
A European Commission spokeswoman said that the EU executive’s position has not changed.
She told reporters in Brussels Dalli did in fact resign because his position was no longer “politically tenable” following an investigation by the EU’s anti fraud unit, OLAF.
The OLAF probe led by its head Giovanni Kessler prompted European Commission president José Manuel Barroso to call for Dalli’s resignation.
Kessler will in the European Parliament on June 18th to answer charges from MEPs that the investigation was poorly carried out and a breach of EU law.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid