President Barack Obama and Chinese leader Xi Jinping ended their two-day summit with one Chinese leader saying the leaders had, “blazed a new trail”.
On that trail was the subject of cyber security. The American president raised specific examples of the type of hacking that concerns the US. China now understands the depth of our worries about the problem said one American official.
Senior Chinese foreign policy adviser Yang Jiechi gave his reaction.
“On cyber security we pointed out that the Chinese government attaches great importance to it. And the government is against all forms of cyber and hacker attacks. China itself is also a victim of cyber attacks and we are a staunch supporter of cyber security.”
While cyber attacks may have caused some friction the two leaders found common ground on North Korea.
“They agreed that North Korea has to denuclearise, that neither country will accept North Korea as a nuclear-armed state, and that we would work together to deepen US-China cooperation and dialogue to achieve denuclearisation,” said Tom Donilon, US National Security Adviser.
Outside the summit which was the first meeting between the two men since MR Xi became president in March was a group of protesters. They are calling for an end to alleged persecution of followers of the Falun Gong spiritual movement and to bring those accused of perpetrating it to justice.
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Freddie Krueger creator Wes Craven has died aged 76
Hundreds pay tribute to police officer killed at a Texas petrol station
Syrian regime accused of bombing civilians in Damascus suburb
More civilian deaths in Saudi-led air raids on suspected Houthi targets
Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
Wires > News
- 07:55 CET Refugee crisis suddenly Merkel’s biggest challenge
- 07:38 CET China party says no disrespect meant with Jiang sign removal
- 07:00 CET Cambodia says no plan to take more refugees from Australian…
- 06:22 CET China property developers to buy back Tianjin blast homes – Xinhua
- 03:35 CET ‘The Storm Makers’ puts Cambodia’s sex-trafficking under spotlight
- 03:08 CET Insight – Clan warfare trumps diplomacy in Mali’s fragile north
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors