09/06/13 08:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
North and South Korea opened their first official talks in two years
on Sunday at a border village “without argument”, the South
said, building on an easing in tensions from nearly daily threats
two months ago of impending nuclear war.
The meeting in Pammunjon, where the armistice was signed in
the 1950-53 Korean War, was taking place hours after U.S.
President Barack Obama and Chinese leader Xi Jinping agreed at a
summit that the North had to abandon its nuclear programme.
The hour-long morning session appeared to pave the way for
ministerial-level discussions next Wednesday. Such a meeting
would be the first such encounter in more than six years.
North Korea’s overture to hold discussions reverses months
of bellicose rhetoric after the United Nations imposed toughened
sanctions against the North in response to its third nuclear
test in February. The North also reopened a Red Cross hotline
with South Korea last week.
Latest world news
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Wires > News
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…
- 21:47 CET Puerto Rico faces default as governor plans to address island
- 21:30 CET Yemen officials say peace talks suspended after Houthis seize base
- 21:28 CET Bergdahl defense can access classified information, court rules
- 21:16 CET Eyeing an Indiana victory, Trump says, ‘It’s over’
- 21:11 CET Connecticut governor honored for welcoming Syrian refugees
- 21:07 CET Cash-flush California GOP allows chairman to seek third term