Athens on Sunday is the focal point for all those in Europe who challenge the accepted wisdom of austerity, and have a vision of an alternative.
Political and social groups from across the continent have gathered in the Greek capital to discuss policy over the last two days, and today’s rally is a show of strength.
“We want to organise, to converge all the social movements at the European level to promote another Europe and say enough with austerity!”
“For many years we have been coordinating action against EU policies and we are trying to formulate alternatives to these policies that are imposed on our people,” were just two statements of intent.
The alternative summit has issued an “Athens manifesto” which calls for, among other things, cancelling fiscal pacts on indebted countries, a moratorium on debt payments, higher taxes on the rich, and more scrutiny on offshore accounts.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes