Belgian Liberal MEP Guy Verhofstadt and French Green MEP Daniel Cohn Bendit are the joint winners of the 2013 European Leader of Year award.
Verhofstadt, a former prime minister of Belgium, picked up the prize, jointly organised by Euronews and the European Executive Council.
“All sorts of Eurosceptics, nationalists and populists are getting all the media attention right now and, there are a lot of people who think that they represent the majority of public opinion in Europe,” he told Euronews.
“I don’t think that’s right at all I think the majority of people know very well that if we want economic growth in the future, as well as jobs for young people, we need to have more Europe.”
The two winners were chosen by a jury of journalists, academics and members of civil society.
Former Italian premier Mario Monti won last year’s prize.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass