Belgian Liberal MEP Guy Verhofstadt and French Green MEP Daniel Cohn Bendit are the joint winners of the 2013 European Leader of Year award.
Verhofstadt, a former prime minister of Belgium, picked up the prize, jointly organised by Euronews and the European Executive Council.
“All sorts of Eurosceptics, nationalists and populists are getting all the media attention right now and, there are a lot of people who think that they represent the majority of public opinion in Europe,” he told Euronews.
“I don’t think that’s right at all I think the majority of people know very well that if we want economic growth in the future, as well as jobs for young people, we need to have more Europe.”
The two winners were chosen by a jury of journalists, academics and members of civil society.
Former Italian premier Mario Monti won last year’s prize.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news