Belgian Liberal MEP Guy Verhofstadt and French Green MEP Daniel Cohn Bendit are the joint winners of the 2013 European Leader of Year award.
Verhofstadt, a former prime minister of Belgium, picked up the prize, jointly organised by Euronews and the European Executive Council.
“All sorts of Eurosceptics, nationalists and populists are getting all the media attention right now and, there are a lot of people who think that they represent the majority of public opinion in Europe,” he told Euronews.
“I don’t think that’s right at all I think the majority of people know very well that if we want economic growth in the future, as well as jobs for young people, we need to have more Europe.”
The two winners were chosen by a jury of journalists, academics and members of civil society.
Former Italian premier Mario Monti won last year’s prize.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video