At least 12 people have been killed in severe flooding that has swamped a large part of central Europe.
The high water is now shifting north from Prague to eastern Germany.
The city of Dresden is inundated. It was last deluged by flood water in 2002.
In the German state of Saxony around ten thousand people have been evacuated from their homes.
Mindful of a looming election, Chancellor Angela Merkel was swiftly on the scene.
“Many people are still in shock from the floods of 2002,” she told the crowd, “and things were just getting rebuilt. The federal government will support the flood-hit areas. For every euro spent by the state, the federal government will give another.”
In Austria, the Danube has not been as high for ten years. 20, 000 emergency personnel have been deployed.
The water barrelling downstream to Klosterneuburg is only a few kilometres from Vienna, where the record levels of 2002 could be passed in the next 24-48 hours. They are expecting levels to rise another 30 centimetres.
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
Malaysia: Ex-leader urges ‘people power’ to topple scandal-hit PM
Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
Wires > News
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors
- 21:05 CET Egypt sets October election date, after three years without…
- 19:23 CET U.S., allies conduct 20 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 18:21 CET Swazi police confirm 13 die in crash en route to royal ceremony
- 17:49 CET Scioli expands lead in Argentina presidential race, runoff seen
- 17:33 CET Obama invites Pakistan PM Sharif for October visit – adviser Rice
- 17:06 CET Greek leftists say they would apply bailout but fight to ease pain