Citizens from six European countries say the EU is going in the wrong direction, according to a survey by Gallup Europe.
The study quizzed at least 750 people from each nation that took part.
The majority said they would cast ballots if next year’s European elections were to be held now.
Yet large numbers of Germans, French and Britons say they are growing disenchanted with the EU.
Robert Manchin, managing director of Gallup Europe, said “people are uncertain about Europe’s ability to handle the most important problems” regarding jobs, social welfare and immigration.
“These are the most important questions and people think the political elites are unable to give an answer to this,” he told euronews.
Low levels of interest in the EU are nothing new. The last elections for the European Parliament in 2009 saw a record low turnout of just 43 percent.
However, one of the countries surveyed by Gallup said it would vote to leave the EU altogether.
The study found that 55 percent of British voters would back a UK exit, whilst 25 percent would vote to stay in.
20 percent said they didn’t know or wouldn’t vote.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news