Citizens from six European countries say the EU is going in the wrong direction, according to a survey by Gallup Europe.
The study quizzed at least 750 people from each nation that took part.
The majority said they would cast ballots if next year’s European elections were to be held now.
Yet large numbers of Germans, French and Britons say they are growing disenchanted with the EU.
Robert Manchin, managing director of Gallup Europe, said “people are uncertain about Europe’s ability to handle the most important problems” regarding jobs, social welfare and immigration.
“These are the most important questions and people think the political elites are unable to give an answer to this,” he told euronews.
Low levels of interest in the EU are nothing new. The last elections for the European Parliament in 2009 saw a record low turnout of just 43 percent.
However, one of the countries surveyed by Gallup said it would vote to leave the EU altogether.
The study found that 55 percent of British voters would back a UK exit, whilst 25 percent would vote to stay in.
20 percent said they didn’t know or wouldn’t vote.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news