Citizens from six European countries say the EU is going in the wrong direction, according to a survey by Gallup Europe.
The study quizzed at least 750 people from each nation that took part.
The majority said they would cast ballots if next year’s European elections were to be held now.
Yet large numbers of Germans, French and Britons say they are growing disenchanted with the EU.
Robert Manchin, managing director of Gallup Europe, said “people are uncertain about Europe’s ability to handle the most important problems” regarding jobs, social welfare and immigration.
“These are the most important questions and people think the political elites are unable to give an answer to this,” he told euronews.
Low levels of interest in the EU are nothing new. The last elections for the European Parliament in 2009 saw a record low turnout of just 43 percent.
However, one of the countries surveyed by Gallup said it would vote to leave the EU altogether.
The study found that 55 percent of British voters would back a UK exit, whilst 25 percent would vote to stay in.
20 percent said they didn’t know or wouldn’t vote.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video