Citizens from six European countries say the EU is going in the wrong direction, according to a survey by Gallup Europe.
The study quizzed at least 750 people from each nation that took part.
The majority said they would cast ballots if next year’s European elections were to be held now.
Yet large numbers of Germans, French and Britons say they are growing disenchanted with the EU.
Robert Manchin, managing director of Gallup Europe, said “people are uncertain about Europe’s ability to handle the most important problems” regarding jobs, social welfare and immigration.
“These are the most important questions and people think the political elites are unable to give an answer to this,” he told euronews.
Low levels of interest in the EU are nothing new. The last elections for the European Parliament in 2009 saw a record low turnout of just 43 percent.
However, one of the countries surveyed by Gallup said it would vote to leave the EU altogether.
The study found that 55 percent of British voters would back a UK exit, whilst 25 percent would vote to stay in.
20 percent said they didn’t know or wouldn’t vote.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid