03/06/13 00:47 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The ripple effect from the protests springing up in Turkey is being felt across Europe.
The heavy-handed policing seen in Ankara and Istanbul has prompted a show of solidarity across the diaspora, including Germany, with its significant Turkish population.
The sentiment among those gathered outside the Turkish embassy in Berlin is clear.
“The police were too violent with the demonstrators,” said Hakan Tas, a local councillor. “There is talk of a thousand injured, some seriously. There are unconfirmed reports of deaths. We are here to show our solidarity with the people in Turkey and in Taksim Square, and that is why we are here today in Berlin.”
Around 300 people gathered in Amsterdam. They sang the Turkish national anthem and chanted words of support.
“People in Turkey are feeling the pressure under Erdogan’s regime,” said protestor Murat Bahtir. “The creeping influence of Islam, the curtailing of human rights and women’s rights, these things go against the spirit of the Turkish secular republic.”
Spontaneous protests have also been held in Canada and the UK, as well as other cities around the world.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…