Authorities are bracing for more chaos across Central Europe as heavy rain continues to pound the region.
Rail lines were closed in the Czech Republic and homes were evacuated. Flood barriers were erected in Prague for the first time since 2002, when the capital was crippled, with whole districts under water and animals drowned in the local zoo.
The Danube and other Austrian rivers have flooded, swamping entire villages, with some houses covered to the first floor. The fire brigade worked overnight to pump out cellars and important infrastructure buildings and to keep the roads clear. An electric power station is under water in Salzburg.
In Germany, Passau is intersected by three rivers, including the Donau, which has already burst, covering streets and a bridge with water.
Rain, up to 15 litres per square metre in volume, is forecast to continue across most of Bavaria and Saxony .
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report