Police in the Turkish capital Ankara used tear gas to disperse protesters trying to reach the headquarters of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
The demonstrators had planned to protest against new laws restricting the sale of alcohol. But their rally became one of solidarity with activists in Istanbul – who are campaigning to save Gezi Park, in the Taksim area of the city.
Activists in Ankara chanted, “Everywhere is resistance! Everywhere is Taksim!”
In Istanbul itself, police fired tear gas and water cannons to break up the Gezi Park protest that began four days ago.
One resident of the city blamed the government, saying: “I’ve never heard of anything like it – it’s a complete joke! What do they want from this beautiful park? All around Taksim is full of shopping centres.
“Why do they want to privatise here? The whole country’s been privatised. I condemn this government,” the resident continued.
Scores of people have been wounded in Istanbul. Among them several members of parliament and journalists – including euronews’ Bora Bayraktar, who was slightly injured in the melée.
Bayraktar reported from Istanbul: “The occupation movement, which started to protect a tiny green area in the centre has grown into a protest that looks unlikely to end any time soon.”
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 15:42 CET Ugandan court sentences five men to life for 2010 bombings that…
- 14:14 CET Air France shirt-ripper trial postponed
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing