In Ukraine June 1 marks Children’s Day. However, an alarming number of teenage girls, many escaping problems at home, have turned to prostitution. Around 11,000 to 15,000 according to UNICEF.
The country is also suffering from one of the worst AIDS epidemics in Europe. Teen prostitutes are extremely vulnerable to HIV due to lack of knowledge or access to methods of prevention.
In the Mykolaiv region of Southern Ukraine, the death rate from HIV infection in the 15-24 age group is one of the highest in the country.
Seventeen-year-old Nataliya explained how she first got involved in sex work.
“My friend has been doing it for seven years, she told me I could do it too. At first I didn’t want to. Now I have enough money. I can help my mom. She doesn’t know what I do, not even my friends know,” she confided.
Nataliya hopes to go on to study medicine, but another girl we spoke to – Yuliya – has no plans to quit.
“There aren’t so many opportunities to make money in our city. What I do really helps me and I’m OK with it. I also like the fact that now I have someone to ask for advice, to talk to and even listen to that advice in certain situations. But one of the most important things is that I can check my health regularly and talk to a psychologist,” Yuliya notes.
In Mykolaiv, the UNITUS charity works alongside UNICEF to provide healthcare, social services and psychological help to young people at risk of contracting HIV/AIDS.
Out of 350 female clients, most have been tested. Up to 10 percent have the virus.
“One of the biggest problems is an extremely low level of knowledge and understanding of how HIV is transmitted. And even if people know it, they still do not regard this risk important,” said Olena Sakovych from UNICEF.
A mobile HIV testing unit can find women most at risk on the streets and provide them with advice and access to a psychologist.
Studies show that use of mobile units can reduce the numbers infected.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Brazil’s Petrobras scandal claims two more scalps – a billionaire and a politician
UN launches programme to combat violence against women
French comedian Dieudonné is sent to jail over anti-semitic remarks
France introduces plain cigarette packaging
Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
Wires > News
- 05:58 CET Mud from Brazil dam burst is toxic, UN says
- 05:49 CET Chicago calm a day after release of video of police shooting…
- 05:09 CET China pledges to work with Africa in fighting militancy after Mali…
- 04:27 CET Japan’s CO2 emissions fall 3 percent to three-year low in FY2014
- 04:10 CET Venezuela opposition activist shot dead, party says
- 03:08 CET Argentine president-elect taps ex-central banker as finance…
- 02:30 CET Thai graft, royal insult cases threaten to embroil junta
- 02:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic…