31/05/13 10:26 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Protesters are trying to block access to the European Central Bank in Frankfurt to show their anger at how the debt crisis is being handled.
The action has been organised by Blockupy – a European version of the Occupy Movement.
The group is blaming the ECB and institutions like Deutsche Bank for austerity measures in southern Europe, which are causing hardship for many people in countries like Spain and Greece. Blockupy will spend the day trying to disrupt the workings of these institutions.
“Our main goal is to show that the regime that is governing Europe through this crisis is neither democratically-legitimate nor acting in any responsible way for the people. It’s really working for profit. One of it’s symbolic places is the ECB – the place that has economic and financial reign over Europe,” said Blockupy Frankfurt Ani Dießelmann.
Around 500 people have set up camp on the outskirts of Frankfurt.
More protesters are due to be bussed in from other parts of Germany, Italy and Spain to take part in the protest.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Armed police to patrol French beaches
Wires > News
- 11:33 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels seize pilot -…
- 11:22 CET Czech president urges referendum on EU, NATO, says would back…
- 11:17 CET A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement
- 11:16 CET Six killed in gun attack on two buses in Kenya’s Mandera
- 11:15 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 10:59 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 10:34 CET Vietnamese scoff at bike-ban plan as motorcycles engulf capital
- 10:31 CET India’s first indigenous combat plane enters service after 33 years