30/05/13 12:11 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Sochi 2014 Olympics medals got their first public airing on Thursday with organisers unveiling the prizes for Russia’s first ever Winter Games and Paralympics.
With eight months to go until the opening ceremony, a record 1,300 medals were manufactured with the Russian city hosting more events than any previous Winter Olympics.
Depending on the colour, the bulky round medals weigh between 460 and 531 grams and have a glass-polycarbonated insert with engravings of traditional designs from various regions of Russia.
“Hopefully we will keep the gold medals here in Russia. The silver and bronze can go to other countries,” Games chief Dmitry Chernyshenko told reporters.
He said around 3 kg (6.61 lb) of gold was used in total to plate the medals, which have a thickness of 10mm and a diameter of 100mm, with 18 hours of work required for each to be made. The front of the medal features the Olympic rings.
The reverse contains the name of the competition in English and the Games logo. The Games name in Russian, English and French is engraved on the rim.
The bronze medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The silver medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The gold medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The bronze medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
The silver medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
The gold medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
Latest world news
Greece grinds to near halt in 48-hour general strike
‘I dream of a Europe where being a migrant is not a crime’ – Pope receives Charlemagne Prize
SNP claims third win in Scotland as Labour suffers in UK elections
UN official calls for inquiry into air strike on Syria refugee camp
Canada: Alberta wildfire threatens communities south of Fort McMurray
Wires > News
- 16:23 CET Turkish editor says journalism on trial as court set to rule
- 15:56 CET Netanyahu to host seminar on Jewish history for U.N. diplomats
- 15:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan rebuffs EU on terrorism law; “we’re going our…
- 15:21 CET Saudi wanted over August bombing of Asir province mosque killed in…
- 15:14 CET Greek PM urges Syriza lawmakers to approve pension reform bill
- 15:10 CET No gap in Turkey’s governance after premier bows out, Erdogan says
- 14:51 CET Security forces shut down Baghdad to prevent Green Zone protests
- 14:34 CET Heliopters, trucks set to remove thousands north of Canadian…