30/05/13 12:11 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Sochi 2014 Olympics medals got their first public airing on Thursday with organisers unveiling the prizes for Russia’s first ever Winter Games and Paralympics.
With eight months to go until the opening ceremony, a record 1,300 medals were manufactured with the Russian city hosting more events than any previous Winter Olympics.
Depending on the colour, the bulky round medals weigh between 460 and 531 grams and have a glass-polycarbonated insert with engravings of traditional designs from various regions of Russia.
“Hopefully we will keep the gold medals here in Russia. The silver and bronze can go to other countries,” Games chief Dmitry Chernyshenko told reporters.
He said around 3 kg (6.61 lb) of gold was used in total to plate the medals, which have a thickness of 10mm and a diameter of 100mm, with 18 hours of work required for each to be made. The front of the medal features the Olympic rings.
The reverse contains the name of the competition in English and the Games logo. The Games name in Russian, English and French is engraved on the rim.
The bronze medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The silver medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The gold medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The bronze medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
The silver medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
The gold medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5UK vote for Brexit sees PM David Cameron jump before he’s pushed
Latest world news
Pope Francis says ‘never again’ to Armenians massacred in WWI
Obama stands by ‘back of queue’ warning on post-Brexit UK trade deal
Scotland, London and teenagers speak out against Brexit
Venezuela: opposition says it is on track to organise recall referendum
Spain’s politicians discuss Brexit in final day of general election campaigning
Wires > News
- 11:24 CET Palestinian leader retracts rabbis water poisoning allegation
- 10:46 CET China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan
- 09:17 CET Thousands rally in Australia for same-sex marriage
- 03:28 CET China media snidely criticise Brexit vote, but upbeat on UK ties
- 03:19 CET Three Mexican federal police gunned down in market
- 23:34 CET Could Brexit vote be a preview of U.S. presidential race?
- 22:21 CET Venezuela dialogue could open way for international help – …
- 22:04 CET Turkey warns of rising European xenophobia after Brexit vote