30/05/13 12:11 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Sochi 2014 Olympics medals got their first public airing on Thursday with organisers unveiling the prizes for Russia’s first ever Winter Games and Paralympics.
With eight months to go until the opening ceremony, a record 1,300 medals were manufactured with the Russian city hosting more events than any previous Winter Olympics.
Depending on the colour, the bulky round medals weigh between 460 and 531 grams and have a glass-polycarbonated insert with engravings of traditional designs from various regions of Russia.
“Hopefully we will keep the gold medals here in Russia. The silver and bronze can go to other countries,” Games chief Dmitry Chernyshenko told reporters.
He said around 3 kg (6.61 lb) of gold was used in total to plate the medals, which have a thickness of 10mm and a diameter of 100mm, with 18 hours of work required for each to be made. The front of the medal features the Olympic rings.
The reverse contains the name of the competition in English and the Games logo. The Games name in Russian, English and French is engraved on the rim.
The bronze medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The silver medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The gold medal for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi
The bronze medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
The silver medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
The gold medal for the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games in Sochi
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes