29/05/13 18:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Three activists from the feminist group Femen have been arrested after baring their breasts in Tunis in what the group described as its “first topless protest in an Islamic state.”
The women — one German and two French — were detained after taking off their coats outside the Ministry of Justice on May 29, revealing their naked chests scrawled with “Breasts Feed” and “Revolution” and holding signs saying “F**k your morals!” alongside the Femen logo.
They said their action was in support of a 19-year-old Tunisian woman, Amina Tyler, who posted topless pictures of herself online as a form of protest.
Tyler was protesting against hard-line Islamists earlier this month and is currently awaiting trial.
The Femen activists’ May 29 action quickly drew an anrgy crowd of apparently conservative Muslims, who scuffled with police as officers led the women away.
The Ukraine-founded group has held topless protests in Europe since 2010 to call attention to a wide range of issues.
Femen uses the term “sextremist” to refer to its members around the world
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET Pakistan deports 500 Afghan refugees before registration deadline…
- 13:36 CET Cambodian opposition leader promises return from exile
- 13:24 CET China’s Xi urges caution over U.S. missile deployment in South…
- 12:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan and Russia’s Putin agree to revive mutual…
- 12:17 CET Italy raises wreck of migrant boat that sank, killing hundreds, in…
- 12:16 CET Iraqi forces say press towards key air base south of Mosul
- 12:11 CET Istanbul airport attack killed 23 Turkish citizens, 13 foreign…
- 12:05 CET Erdogan’s phone call with Putin ‘very productive’ – Turkish…