29/05/13 18:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Three activists from the feminist group Femen have been arrested after baring their breasts in Tunis in what the group described as its “first topless protest in an Islamic state.”
The women — one German and two French — were detained after taking off their coats outside the Ministry of Justice on May 29, revealing their naked chests scrawled with “Breasts Feed” and “Revolution” and holding signs saying “F**k your morals!” alongside the Femen logo.
They said their action was in support of a 19-year-old Tunisian woman, Amina Tyler, who posted topless pictures of herself online as a form of protest.
Tyler was protesting against hard-line Islamists earlier this month and is currently awaiting trial.
The Femen activists’ May 29 action quickly drew an anrgy crowd of apparently conservative Muslims, who scuffled with police as officers led the women away.
The Ukraine-founded group has held topless protests in Europe since 2010 to call attention to a wide range of issues.
Femen uses the term “sextremist” to refer to its members around the world
Latest world news
Labour election losses in Scotland deliver big blow to Corbyn
US House Speaker Paul Ryan ‘not ready’ to back Trump
Turkey: Davutoglu departure raises concerns over authoritarianism
Deadly flare-up in violence as Israel finds Gaza tunnel
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Wires > News
- 08:10 CET Rebels capture village near Aleppo, 73 killed – monitor
- 08:04 CET China, Kazakhstan sign $2 billion in deals as Xinjiang party boss…
- 07:49 CET Singapore, Australia expand military cooperation in A$2.25 billion…
- 07:44 CET Exclusive – Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: ‘To stop…
- 07:40 CET China says South China Sea criticism will rebound like a coiled…
- 07:32 CET Greeks strike as new tax, pension reforms loom
- 07:02 CET Australia to compensate charity wrongly accused over refugees‘…
- 03:57 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, U.S. condemns Assad statement