28/05/13 18:57 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The marriage of Vincent Aubin and Bruno Boileau, set to go ahead in Montpellier on Wednesday evening, will be the first gay marriage in France, since the law was passed on April 23 legalising same sex-marriage and adoption by gay couples.
The couple know their big day will under the media microscope.
“ This not about Vincent and Bruno this is about equality under the law, this for all the people who have fought for the right to say ‘I do’,” said Vincent.
Bruno is keen to have a family: “We hope to have a family in time. That is certain. It is something we both wanted, even before we met. This law also allows adoption, it will come.”
Security will be tight around Montpellier Town Hall as those opposed to the bill plan to demonstrate.
The new law has caused outrage in certain sections of French society. Last Sunday 150,000 people took to the streets of Paris to protest against the law.
What started as a peaceful march ended in violence with police making a total of 293 arrests.
France is the 14th country in the world to legalise gay marriage.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom
- 01:25 CET Ageing Thailand takes toll on indebted households
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city