28/05/13 18:57 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The marriage of Vincent Aubin and Bruno Boileau, set to go ahead in Montpellier on Wednesday evening, will be the first gay marriage in France, since the law was passed on April 23 legalising same sex-marriage and adoption by gay couples.
The couple know their big day will under the media microscope.
“ This not about Vincent and Bruno this is about equality under the law, this for all the people who have fought for the right to say ‘I do’,” said Vincent.
Bruno is keen to have a family: “We hope to have a family in time. That is certain. It is something we both wanted, even before we met. This law also allows adoption, it will come.”
Security will be tight around Montpellier Town Hall as those opposed to the bill plan to demonstrate.
The new law has caused outrage in certain sections of French society. Last Sunday 150,000 people took to the streets of Paris to protest against the law.
What started as a peaceful march ended in violence with police making a total of 293 arrests.
France is the 14th country in the world to legalise gay marriage.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 3Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 4Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 5Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Latest world news
Zika link to microcephaly may be weeks away, says WHO
Malheur standoff ends; final four surrender
49 detainees dead after Mexico Topo Chico prison riot
Positive reactions to Syria ceasefire deal, but challenges lie ahead
Ding, ding, the gloves are off! Clinton and Sanders battle it out in Milwaukee
Wires > News
- 12:46 CET Greek police fire tear gas at angry farmers rallying in Athens
- 12:44 CET Philippines considers two-way sea talks with China – if wins case…
- 12:42 CET Italy’s Renzi rejects Church interference in gay civil unions…
- 11:16 CET Pakistan arrests 97 al-Qaeda and other militants; foils jailbreak…
- 11:13 CET Thousands of Iraqi refugees leave Finland voluntarily
- 10:26 CET Russian PM says little sense in discussing Ukraine’s $3 billion…
- 08:11 CET Australian Cabinet minister resigns over unofficial China trip
- 07:10 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence