Police have arrested a friend of one of the suspects in the killing of British soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich after a TV interview in the UK.
Abu Nusaybah appeared on the BBC’s newsnight programme alleging that his friend Michael Adebolajo was asked to work for the MI5 just six months ago.
He also said that Adebolajo attended meetings of the now-banned al-Muhajiroun. Members of the group confirmed the suspect is the man seen in footage shot at meetings standing behind the leader Anjem Choudary.
Nusaybah claimed that his friend became radicalised six months ago, which he attributes to alleged experiences of sexual assault at the hands of the authorities in Kenya.
Arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000, Nusaybah is being held in a south London police station.
Following the soldier’s death the numbers of Islamophobic hate crimes have reported at ten times the usual rate. Muslim leaders have accused far-right extremists of attempting to capitalise on the murder.
British National Party leader and MEP Nick Griffin left a floral tribute for the soldier, and took the opportunity to say the attacks were the result of ‘mass immigration’, before causing a stir on twitter with a series of provocative tweets.
The far right English Defence League are staging a march in Newcastle on Saturday and another is scheduled for London on Monday.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’