Police have arrested a friend of one of the suspects in the killing of British soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich after a TV interview in the UK.
Abu Nusaybah appeared on the BBC’s newsnight programme alleging that his friend Michael Adebolajo was asked to work for the MI5 just six months ago.
He also said that Adebolajo attended meetings of the now-banned al-Muhajiroun. Members of the group confirmed the suspect is the man seen in footage shot at meetings standing behind the leader Anjem Choudary.
Nusaybah claimed that his friend became radicalised six months ago, which he attributes to alleged experiences of sexual assault at the hands of the authorities in Kenya.
Arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000, Nusaybah is being held in a south London police station.
Following the soldier’s death the numbers of Islamophobic hate crimes have reported at ten times the usual rate. Muslim leaders have accused far-right extremists of attempting to capitalise on the murder.
British National Party leader and MEP Nick Griffin left a floral tribute for the soldier, and took the opportunity to say the attacks were the result of ‘mass immigration’, before causing a stir on twitter with a series of provocative tweets.
The far right English Defence League are staging a march in Newcastle on Saturday and another is scheduled for London on Monday.
Latest world news
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido ‘very well’ after kidnap ordeal ends
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Philippine troops kill 54 Islamist militants in the south
- 13:44 CET Germany plans draft law on nuclear storage costs in August
- 13:43 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister criticizes Petrobras probe -…
- 13:36 CET China protests to Indonesia over seizure of fishing vessel
- 13:33 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 13:33 CET Suspected al Shabaab fighters kill 3 village elders in Kenya -…
- 13:32 CET German police hold flights at Cologne-Bonn airport over security…
- 13:27 CET Chinese worker wounded in Pakistani bomb attack