Defending champions Maria Sharapova and Rafael Nadal were joined by Serena Williams and Roger Federer for a promotional event in Paris on Friday – the day the draw for the French Open was made.
Nadal, who is hunting an 8th Roland Garros crown, has been seeded third meaning he could meet world number one Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.
The Spaniard told reporters he feels on form at the moment and jokingly allowed himself to briefly dream of another final appearance.
He said: “I was playing well the last couple of weeks that’s always really positive, it means a lot. The results I had in Barcelona and Madrid and Rome. So very happy that I am able to be back. If that dream ( to reach the final) comes true I want an opponent that will play very bad that day.”
Defending champion Sharapova begins her title defence against unfancied Su-Wei Hsieh of Chinese Taipei but the Russia world number two is not taking anything or anyone for granted.
Sharapova said: “We’re all about adjusting, I think every player knows going into a tournament you have to adjust to the conditions and opponent, every match is a challenge, I think we all respect everyone that’s across the net, we know what’s ahead of us and it’s a long few weeks and we have got to be mentally and physically ready for it.”
Top seed Williams will hope to avoid a second straight first round exit when she plays Georgia’s Anna Tatishvili.
Men’s second seed Federer takes on a qualifier while Andy Murray’s absence means there are no Britons in the men’s singles the first time since 1994.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 20:26 CET Mihajlovic sets top-three target for Milan
- 20:12 CET Hosszu retains 200 metres IM title as records tumble
- 19:29 CET Juventus’s new signing Khedira ruled out for two months
- 18:01 CET American Danielson suspended after positive test
- 17:33 CET Leicester sign Frenchmen Kante and Benalouane
- 16:58 CET West Ham’s Valencia out for up to 12 weeks
- 16:13 CET Rio water quality on agenda as IOC leaves for Brazil
- 15:47 CET Some extreme doping test results show athletes’ health at risk -…