Defending champions Maria Sharapova and Rafael Nadal were joined by Serena Williams and Roger Federer for a promotional event in Paris on Friday – the day the draw for the French Open was made.
Nadal, who is hunting an 8th Roland Garros crown, has been seeded third meaning he could meet world number one Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.
The Spaniard told reporters he feels on form at the moment and jokingly allowed himself to briefly dream of another final appearance.
He said: “I was playing well the last couple of weeks that’s always really positive, it means a lot. The results I had in Barcelona and Madrid and Rome. So very happy that I am able to be back. If that dream ( to reach the final) comes true I want an opponent that will play very bad that day.”
Defending champion Sharapova begins her title defence against unfancied Su-Wei Hsieh of Chinese Taipei but the Russia world number two is not taking anything or anyone for granted.
Sharapova said: “We’re all about adjusting, I think every player knows going into a tournament you have to adjust to the conditions and opponent, every match is a challenge, I think we all respect everyone that’s across the net, we know what’s ahead of us and it’s a long few weeks and we have got to be mentally and physically ready for it.”
Top seed Williams will hope to avoid a second straight first round exit when she plays Georgia’s Anna Tatishvili.
Men’s second seed Federer takes on a qualifier while Andy Murray’s absence means there are no Britons in the men’s singles the first time since 1994.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Hope Sole suspended from US women’s soccer team for ‘incident’
- 2Brazilian pro-surfer Ricardo dos Santos shot dead off-duty police officer detained
- 3Odegaard to join Real Madrid
- 4Vonn the bomb defies gravity and serious injury to equal the record of World Cup wins
- 5‘The Corner’s’ take on the Asian Cup, Turkish corruption and Landon Donovan
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 17HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 18NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 20:06 CET New Ferrari F1 car takes SF15-T designation
- 19:21 CET Armstrong would race clean now but not in 1995
- 19:03 CET Gifted, controversial Riquelme retires
- 17:01 CET Out of Africa and ready to roll on Le Tour
- 16:53 CET Man United sign Swissquote as forex trading sponsor
- 16:08 CET South Korea coach starts mind games with Australia at Asian Cup
- 15:48 CET Chicago sign Scotland winger Maloney
- 14:50 CET Congo coach Le Roy gets presidential congratulations