Defending champions Maria Sharapova and Rafael Nadal were joined by Serena Williams and Roger Federer for a promotional event in Paris on Friday – the day the draw for the French Open was made.
Nadal, who is hunting an 8th Roland Garros crown, has been seeded third meaning he could meet world number one Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.
The Spaniard told reporters he feels on form at the moment and jokingly allowed himself to briefly dream of another final appearance.
He said: “I was playing well the last couple of weeks that’s always really positive, it means a lot. The results I had in Barcelona and Madrid and Rome. So very happy that I am able to be back. If that dream ( to reach the final) comes true I want an opponent that will play very bad that day.”
Defending champion Sharapova begins her title defence against unfancied Su-Wei Hsieh of Chinese Taipei but the Russia world number two is not taking anything or anyone for granted.
Sharapova said: “We’re all about adjusting, I think every player knows going into a tournament you have to adjust to the conditions and opponent, every match is a challenge, I think we all respect everyone that’s across the net, we know what’s ahead of us and it’s a long few weeks and we have got to be mentally and physically ready for it.”
Top seed Williams will hope to avoid a second straight first round exit when she plays Georgia’s Anna Tatishvili.
Men’s second seed Federer takes on a qualifier while Andy Murray’s absence means there are no Britons in the men’s singles the first time since 1994.
- 1Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
- 2Japanese masterclass on the Guadalajara tatami
- 3Black day for judo’s brightest stars in Guadalajara
- 4Korean Kim fences to saber gold in Moscow
- 5Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Wires > Sport
- 21:25 CET Senderos misses out as Swiss name final Euro squad
- 21:21 CET Belgium drop injured Lombaerts from Euro 2016 squad
- 20:56 CET AFC Wimbledon promoted to English third tier
- 19:34 CET Former Croatia captain Boban given high-ranking FIFA role
- 19:24 CET Delaying Rio Games would give ‘false security’ on Zika – WHO panel…
- 18:44 CET Captain Cook completes special 10,000-run voyage
- 18:43 CET Cook reaches milestone as England win to clinch series
- 17:39 CET Roland Garros roof or extension ‘not crucial’ for Paris 2024 bid