Defending champions Maria Sharapova and Rafael Nadal were joined by Serena Williams and Roger Federer for a promotional event in Paris on Friday – the day the draw for the French Open was made.
Nadal, who is hunting an 8th Roland Garros crown, has been seeded third meaning he could meet world number one Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.
The Spaniard told reporters he feels on form at the moment and jokingly allowed himself to briefly dream of another final appearance.
He said: “I was playing well the last couple of weeks that’s always really positive, it means a lot. The results I had in Barcelona and Madrid and Rome. So very happy that I am able to be back. If that dream ( to reach the final) comes true I want an opponent that will play very bad that day.”
Defending champion Sharapova begins her title defence against unfancied Su-Wei Hsieh of Chinese Taipei but the Russia world number two is not taking anything or anyone for granted.
Sharapova said: “We’re all about adjusting, I think every player knows going into a tournament you have to adjust to the conditions and opponent, every match is a challenge, I think we all respect everyone that’s across the net, we know what’s ahead of us and it’s a long few weeks and we have got to be mentally and physically ready for it.”
Top seed Williams will hope to avoid a second straight first round exit when she plays Georgia’s Anna Tatishvili.
Men’s second seed Federer takes on a qualifier while Andy Murray’s absence means there are no Britons in the men’s singles the first time since 1994.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1François d’Haene wins Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc
- 2World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 3Sanchez sends Arsenal through to Champions League
- 4Manchester United set for Falcao arrival as Hernandez joins Real Madrid
- 5Champions League: Liverpool to face reigning champions Real Madrid
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 6Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 7Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Germany breaks political taboo by arming Kurds against Islamists in Iraq | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Sport
- 05:15 CET Wozniacki wallops Errani to reach U.S. Open semi-finals
- 04:55 CET Contador leads Tour of Spain after Quintana crash
- 22:44 CET Electric series generates plenty of buzz
- 22:16 CET Russia World Cup not under discussion, says Blatter
- 21:52 CET Manchester City’s Guidetti still hoping for Celtic switch
- 21:22 CET No reheated soup, but plenty of leftovers for Serie A
- 19:03 CET Bautista to lead depleted Spain in Davis Cup playoff
- 17:44 CET Aston Villa sign Cleverley on loan in late deal