The ‘Un Certain Regard’ section at Cannes often throws up some out-of-the-mainstream jewels, and director Hany Abu-Assad is hoping his ‘Omar’ will win honours for Palestine. It blends politics and romance, and has an undercurrent of political uprising and prison that its lead actor insists has nothing to do with the movie’s location.
“The fact that it is an international story, it happens in the West Bank but it doesn’t even say in the film that it happens in the West Bank. So everybody can identify with it. Everybody can really go with it. I think it has a very strong political message but it is underneath, it is not straightforward which I think is the genius of the film,” says Adam Bakri.
Director Hany Abu-Assad agrees with his leading man’s sentiment. He believes that the central theme in the movie is love.
“Love, I don’t know anybody in this world who didn’t enter the experience of being madly in love with someone. Me too. And I am always fascinated by how people lose themselves in this subject and how they become insecure. Actual insecurity is the reason why people are in love, but also why this love ends up very badly,” he said.
In 2006 Abu-Assad’s ‘Paradise Now’ won the Golden Globe for Best Foreign language film, and it received an Oscar-nomination in the same category. ‘Omar’ would like to do at least as well.
- 1Bitola: from macchiatos to mosaics
- 2‘Just extraordinary’ – Martha Argerich and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra pay homage to Claudio Abbado
- 3Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
- 4Sufragette – a film which reflects a milestone in British history
- 5Much more than a concert hall – insights from the Chairman of Philharmonie de Paris
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary