The ‘Un Certain Regard’ section at Cannes often throws up some out-of-the-mainstream jewels, and director Hany Abu-Assad is hoping his ‘Omar’ will win honours for Palestine. It blends politics and romance, and has an undercurrent of political uprising and prison that its lead actor insists has nothing to do with the movie’s location.
“The fact that it is an international story, it happens in the West Bank but it doesn’t even say in the film that it happens in the West Bank. So everybody can identify with it. Everybody can really go with it. I think it has a very strong political message but it is underneath, it is not straightforward which I think is the genius of the film,” says Adam Bakri.
Director Hany Abu-Assad agrees with his leading man’s sentiment. He believes that the central theme in the movie is love.
“Love, I don’t know anybody in this world who didn’t enter the experience of being madly in love with someone. Me too. And I am always fascinated by how people lose themselves in this subject and how they become insecure. Actual insecurity is the reason why people are in love, but also why this love ends up very badly,” he said.
In 2006 Abu-Assad’s ‘Paradise Now’ won the Golden Globe for Best Foreign language film, and it received an Oscar-nomination in the same category. ‘Omar’ would like to do at least as well.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed