23/05/13 17:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Islamist suicide bombers have struck at an army barracks and a French-run uranium mine in Niger.
In Agadez in the north, at least 20 soldiers were killed and 16 others injured when the bombers attacked at dawn.
In Arlit, one person died and several others were injured in a car bomb attack at a uranium mine operated by the French nuclear group Areva.
A West African offshoot of al-Qaeda’s north African wing has claimed responsibility. The group was part of a loose Islamist coalition which seized control of neighbouring north Mali last year before being ousted by a French-led offensive in January.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Wires > News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:58 CET Air strikes on camp for displaced Syrians kill 28, monitor says
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…