Seven Egyptian security officers kidnapped in Sinai last week have been released – according to an army spokesman.
Ahmed Ali made the statement on his Facebook page.
It said: “The seven kidnapped Egyptian soldiers are on their way to Cairo after their release thanks to the efforts of Egyptian military intelligence in coordination with the elders of the tribes and families of Sinai.”
The men were seized by militants on the road between el-Arish and Rafah near the border with Israel on May 14.
Egypt stepped up its military presence in Sinai in response.
The peninsula has become increasingly unstable since the overthrow of former President Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.