A man has died in a suspected terror attack in London sparking a national security alert.
The victim was hacked to death by two assailants who were then shot by police.
British Prime Minister David Cameron immediately cut short a visit to Paris and called a meeting of the government’s emergency response committee known as Cobra.
Speaking in Paris, David Cameron said:
“It is the most appalling crime. We obviously are urgently seeking, the police are urgently seeking, the full facts about this case, but there are strong indications that it is a terrorist incident.”
The attack happened near the Woolwich army barracks in south east London. It is thought the dead man was a serving British soldier. His alleged attackers were taken to hospital.
Latest world news
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirms he will step down at AK Party Congress on 22 May
Voting underway across the UK on ‘Super Thursday’
Dilma’s impeachment moves one step closer as commission backs removal
Panama babies born with microcephaly linked to Zika
euronews visits frontline village in Syria
Wires > News
- 14:11 CET Israel says found second Hamas tunnel from Gaza since 2014 war
- 14:03 CET Burundi police say 450 people killed in political violence in past…
- 13:52 CET Truce takes hold in Aleppo but fighting goes on elsewhere in Syria
- 13:39 CET Pakistan girl, 16, ‘burnt alive’ for helping couple to elope
- 13:37 CET Saudi security operation against Islamic State fighters in Mecca -…
- 13:20 CET People die, shooting rages at night, amid spluttering…
- 12:22 CET Israeli general assailed for Nazi comparison on Holocaust memorial…
- 12:11 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump