A man has died in a suspected terror attack in London sparking a national security alert.
The victim was hacked to death by two assailants who were then shot by police.
British Prime Minister David Cameron immediately cut short a visit to Paris and called a meeting of the government’s emergency response committee known as Cobra.
Speaking in Paris, David Cameron said:
“It is the most appalling crime. We obviously are urgently seeking, the police are urgently seeking, the full facts about this case, but there are strong indications that it is a terrorist incident.”
The attack happened near the Woolwich army barracks in south east London. It is thought the dead man was a serving British soldier. His alleged attackers were taken to hospital.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 09:28 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city