Now Reading:

Former Iran President Rafsanjani barred from June election

world news

Former Iran President Rafsanjani barred from June election


Iran’s former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has been barred from running in next month’s presidential election.

The 78-year-old who led the country between 1989 and 97 is not among the eight final candidates confirmed by the electoral watchdog, the Guardian Council.

A former chief of staff to President Ahmadinejad, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, has also been disqualified, according to state media.

Rafsanjani had been sidelined from power over what was seen as tacit support for opposition leaders after the last election.

A spokesman for the Guardian Council said on Monday that it would bar physically feeble candidates, a comment seen by many as a hint that it could disqualify Rafsanjani.

The race is likely to be dominated by hardline conservatives.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news