Sweden won their ninth world title on home ice in Stockholm courtesy of a 5-1 demolition of surprise package Switzerland on Sunday.
Switzerland fired out of the blocks and scored first after just under five minutes thanks to Roman Josi.
Sweden were on level terms three minutes later when Erik Gustafsson latched on to a rebound and snapped a shot past Martin Gerber.
The home crowd were on their feet again shortly afterwards when on-form Henrik Sedin batted home the second in midair.
The Swedes broke the game open in the third when Simon Hjalmarsson made the most of a giveaway by Julien Vauclair.
Loui Eriksson put the tie out of reach of the Swiss when a point shot went in off his skate.
The Swiss pulled goalie Gerber for an extra skater late on but Sedin took full advantage to score his second on the night into the empty net sealing a 5-1 win and Sweden’s ninth gold at the worlds.
Earlier in the day Team USA won the bronze medal match after a 3-2 shoot out victory over co-hosts Finland.
The Americans started strongly and were soon two nil up thanks to first period goals from Craig Smith and captain Paul Stastny.
The Finns picked up the pace in the second period but it wasn’t until the third period that the game really came alive thanks to two goals from Lauri Korpikoski that tied the game.
After a goalless extra time the two teams went to a shoot out where Alex Galchenyuk scored the decisive goal for the USA who won their first medal since another bronze in the 2004 edition.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Marathon great Jeptoo fails dope test
- 2Lightweights kick-start Judo Grand Slam, Abu Dhabi
- 3MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 4Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 5Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 3Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 4South African mourns three sporting heroes
- 5Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 3Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > Sport
- 02:00 CET F1 teams play down talk of U.S. GP boycott
- 00:52 CET Nishikori qualifies for ATP World Tour Finals
- 00:13 CET Hamilton fastest as Mercedes dominate U.S. practice
- 22:32 CET Monaco stall as Reims grab late equaliser
- 22:10 CET Hamilton fastest as Mercedes dominate U.S. practice
- 21:59 CET Kenya’s Mutai goes for New York hat-trick
- 19:40 CET Caterham F1 team have two weeks to find a buyer
- 18:34 CET Odds shorten on Chelsea emulating Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’