Danish director Thomas Vinterberg has won the “Prix Media” in Cannes.
The prize is awarded to the film with the best box-office potential amongst all those submitted for funding from the 2013 media programme.
It was presented by Androulla Vassilliou, the European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth at the Cannes Festival.
Vinterberg’s 1998 film “Festen” or “The Celebration” won a clutch of awards including the special jury prize at Cannes. His last film, “Jagten”, received 100 thousand euros from the MEDIA programme. It earned Mads Mikkelsen the best actor award at Cannes last year.
For Thomas Vinterberg, financial and logistic support from the public is essential for Denmark’s independent movie makers.
“Without MEDIA or the Danish Film Institute we could not survive as a nation with film-making as an art form. It would slowly become more and more provincial and more and more mediocre so the MEDIA prize and the MEDIA programmeis extremely important,” he told euronews.
Our correspondent in Cannes, Wolfgang Spindler, said: “This MEDIA award is usually the beginning of an international career for a European movie. We can be sure that Thomas Vinterberg will come to Cannes with his next movie.”
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
Flagmakers rush to meet demand as France prepares public show for Paris victims
Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
South Africa lifts ban on domestic rhino horn trade
Wires > European Affairs
- 22:01 CET Turkey arrests two journalists on terrorism charges – CNN Turk
- 21:11 CET Germany to support military campaign against IS after French appeal
- 20:58 CET Belgium eases alert level but threat still ‘serious’
- 20:53 CET Khodorkovsky says Putin is leading Russia towards stagnation…
- 20:37 CET France says UK air force needed in Syria to raise pressure on…
- 20:05 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 19:44 CET Cameron says time to bomb militants in Syria
- 19:04 CET South Sudan food team finds risk of ‘widespread catastrophe’