20/05/13 22:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Spring in the Pyrenees “arrives early and quickly feels like the summer”, according to one tourist website. Not this year.
Tourists usually come to cycle, hike, and marvel at wildflowers in the meadows. On Monday at the Col du Tourmalet (altitude 2,115 metres) they contemplated 10 metres of snow.
France and much of western Europe are experiencing the coolest May temperatures for 25 years. Bordeaux is seven degrees below normal; the Cannes Film Festival has been drenched.
In the Seine-et-Marne department east of Paris farmers squelch and shiver their way to work.
“For the strawberrries we are two to three weeks late, more because of the temperatures than because of the rain,” said farmer Thibaut Cozen.
“I love Paris in the springtime”: in the words of Cole Porter’s song, in the winter it “drizzles” and in the summer it “sizzles”.
There is no sign of a heatwave yet in the French capital. In fact forecasters say there is no sign of “any improvement” across the country between now and the end of May or even early June.
Tourists at Parc Astérix north of Paris clearly decided that if they were going to get wet anyway, they might as well do it in style. “Le Grand Splatch” rollercoaster ride, which needs little description, ends with an 11-metre plunge into water.
In parts of Germany and the Netherlands too it is the coldest month of May since 1962, the coolest on record. Forecasters say temperatures are set to drop still further over the next few days.
The lesson is: head east. The iron curtain may have disappeared; instead there is now a golden one across Europe as the two weather systems clash.
Moscow has been enjoying record springtime highs, and it is boiling hot across much of the former communist bloc.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 4Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
Latest world news
Protesters pelt Turkish embassy in Moscow, call it the “Islamic State Embassy”
WMO warns 2015 the hottest year on record
France mounts “unprecendented” security steps for global climate talks
Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
Bus bomber kills presidential guards in Tunisian capital
Wires > News
- 17:03 CET Footage shows trucks burning at Turkey-Syria border after apparent…
- 17:00 CET Tunisia says suicide bomber carried out bus attack claimed by…
- 16:55 CET December deal for British EU reform difficult- senior EU official
- 16:53 CET Nuclear exit unthinkable for climate conference host France
- 16:27 CET U.S. probe says Afghan hospital strike was tragic accident
- 16:06 CET Slovakia plans to raise police powers after Paris bloodshed
- 15:49 CET Russian deputies seek accountability for Armenia genocide denial
- 15:26 CET EU sounds alarm as internal barriers rise in refugee crisis