Co-hosts Sweden will meet surprise package Switzerland in Sunday’s final of the world ice hockey championships following respective wins over Finland and the USA.
Sweden thrilled the home crowd in Stockholm on Saturday when they beat arch rivals and fellow co-hosts Finland 3-0 to progress to the competition’s showpiece match.
Finland had scored 27 times in their first eight games but found no way through their opponent’s defense as Swedish netminder Jhonas Enroth enjoyed his second shutout of the tournament.
Sweden also got the upper hand in the offence department during the tight tussle in the Swedish capital.
Henrik Sedin earned two assists as Loui Eriksson scored the opening two goals.
Sedin deservedly got on the scoresheet himself in the final minute to seal the 3-0 win with an empty netter.
The Swedes are now into the final for the second time in three years but are hunting their first title since thrashing Czech Republic en route to gold in 2006.
Switzerland booked their spot in the final after stunning the USA 3-0 in their semi-final.
New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter opened the scoring in the second period.
He took full advantage of a 2-on-1 break: After Martin Plüss delivered a perfectly timed pass Niederreiter blasted a wrist shot past 19-year-old goalie John Gibson to draw first blood.
Julian Walker handed the unbeaten Swiss their second goal in the third period after latching on to a Phillipe Furrer assist that put the game almost out of sight of the Americans.
With under two minutes remaining Team USA pulled goalie Gibson for an extra skater but it soon backfired as Reto Suri completed the 3-0 victory for the Swiss, whose last medal at the Worlds was a bronze in 1953 – they are now assured of going at least one better this year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > Sport
- 20:08 CET Napoli sign Romania defender Chiriches from Spurs
- 19:54 CET Tanvir helps Pakistan secure easy T20 win over Sri Lanka
- 19:10 CET A new star is born as Germany’s refugee crisis worsens
- 17:25 CET Hamilton beats Raikkonen in popularity poll
- 17:03 CET Double strike leaves Australia facing a battle
- 16:55 CET Platini’s FIFA candidacy fails to excite Africa
- 16:05 CET IOC president reminds members about responsibilities
- 15:57 CET Rio Olympic athletes risk serious illness from polluted water – AP