Co-hosts Sweden will meet surprise package Switzerland in Sunday’s final of the world ice hockey championships following respective wins over Finland and the USA.
Sweden thrilled the home crowd in Stockholm on Saturday when they beat arch rivals and fellow co-hosts Finland 3-0 to progress to the competition’s showpiece match.
Finland had scored 27 times in their first eight games but found no way through their opponent’s defense as Swedish netminder Jhonas Enroth enjoyed his second shutout of the tournament.
Sweden also got the upper hand in the offence department during the tight tussle in the Swedish capital.
Henrik Sedin earned two assists as Loui Eriksson scored the opening two goals.
Sedin deservedly got on the scoresheet himself in the final minute to seal the 3-0 win with an empty netter.
The Swedes are now into the final for the second time in three years but are hunting their first title since thrashing Czech Republic en route to gold in 2006.
Switzerland booked their spot in the final after stunning the USA 3-0 in their semi-final.
New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter opened the scoring in the second period.
He took full advantage of a 2-on-1 break: After Martin Plüss delivered a perfectly timed pass Niederreiter blasted a wrist shot past 19-year-old goalie John Gibson to draw first blood.
Julian Walker handed the unbeaten Swiss their second goal in the third period after latching on to a Phillipe Furrer assist that put the game almost out of sight of the Americans.
With under two minutes remaining Team USA pulled goalie Gibson for an extra skater but it soon backfired as Reto Suri completed the 3-0 victory for the Swiss, whose last medal at the Worlds was a bronze in 1953 – they are now assured of going at least one better this year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 3Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 4Michel Platini’s plans for football rule changes get the euronews once-over
- 5Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 10Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 11Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 18:13 CET Eto’o can help Lukaku bloom, says Everton hero Latchford
- 17:53 CET Slumping Wawrinka refuses to press the panic button
- 17:51 CET Saints boss happy with fixture glut
- 17:41 CET Nigeria set to avoid FIFA suspension after court case is dropped
- 17:18 CET Murray qualifies for Tour Finals with Dimitrov win
- 17:07 CET Liverpool boss Rodgers backs forgotten man Borini
- 15:57 CET Bianchi remains in critical but stable condition – family
- 15:54 CET Former Real forward Raul joins New York Cosmos