Co-hosts Sweden will meet surprise package Switzerland in Sunday’s final of the world ice hockey championships following respective wins over Finland and the USA.
Sweden thrilled the home crowd in Stockholm on Saturday when they beat arch rivals and fellow co-hosts Finland 3-0 to progress to the competition’s showpiece match.
Finland had scored 27 times in their first eight games but found no way through their opponent’s defense as Swedish netminder Jhonas Enroth enjoyed his second shutout of the tournament.
Sweden also got the upper hand in the offence department during the tight tussle in the Swedish capital.
Henrik Sedin earned two assists as Loui Eriksson scored the opening two goals.
Sedin deservedly got on the scoresheet himself in the final minute to seal the 3-0 win with an empty netter.
The Swedes are now into the final for the second time in three years but are hunting their first title since thrashing Czech Republic en route to gold in 2006.
Switzerland booked their spot in the final after stunning the USA 3-0 in their semi-final.
New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter opened the scoring in the second period.
He took full advantage of a 2-on-1 break: After Martin Plüss delivered a perfectly timed pass Niederreiter blasted a wrist shot past 19-year-old goalie John Gibson to draw first blood.
Julian Walker handed the unbeaten Swiss their second goal in the third period after latching on to a Phillipe Furrer assist that put the game almost out of sight of the Americans.
With under two minutes remaining Team USA pulled goalie Gibson for an extra skater but it soon backfired as Reto Suri completed the 3-0 victory for the Swiss, whose last medal at the Worlds was a bronze in 1953 – they are now assured of going at least one better this year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:37 CET Caterham and Marussia to miss next races – Ecclestone
- 11:09 CET Marquez takes record 13th pole in Malaysia
- 11:07 CET Sanctioned Beale not joining Wallabies on Europe tour
- 05:40 CET Australia batsmen in familiar tail-spin in Dubai
- 05:38 CET U.S., Costa Rica qualify for Women’s World Cup
- 02:02 CET PGA president fired for ‘insensitive’ remarks
- 00:18 CET Caterham F1 team set to miss next two races
- 23:13 CET Coric stuns Nadal in Basel, Federer through