Co-hosts Sweden will meet surprise package Switzerland in Sunday’s final of the world ice hockey championships following respective wins over Finland and the USA.
Sweden thrilled the home crowd in Stockholm on Saturday when they beat arch rivals and fellow co-hosts Finland 3-0 to progress to the competition’s showpiece match.
Finland had scored 27 times in their first eight games but found no way through their opponent’s defense as Swedish netminder Jhonas Enroth enjoyed his second shutout of the tournament.
Sweden also got the upper hand in the offence department during the tight tussle in the Swedish capital.
Henrik Sedin earned two assists as Loui Eriksson scored the opening two goals.
Sedin deservedly got on the scoresheet himself in the final minute to seal the 3-0 win with an empty netter.
The Swedes are now into the final for the second time in three years but are hunting their first title since thrashing Czech Republic en route to gold in 2006.
Switzerland booked their spot in the final after stunning the USA 3-0 in their semi-final.
New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter opened the scoring in the second period.
He took full advantage of a 2-on-1 break: After Martin Plüss delivered a perfectly timed pass Niederreiter blasted a wrist shot past 19-year-old goalie John Gibson to draw first blood.
Julian Walker handed the unbeaten Swiss their second goal in the third period after latching on to a Phillipe Furrer assist that put the game almost out of sight of the Americans.
With under two minutes remaining Team USA pulled goalie Gibson for an extra skater but it soon backfired as Reto Suri completed the 3-0 victory for the Swiss, whose last medal at the Worlds was a bronze in 1953 – they are now assured of going at least one better this year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 4UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 5‘The Corner’ an Italian hero, zero, hero and woe in Warsaw for Germany
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 19:56 CET Wozniacki outlasts erratic Sharapova; Radwanska wins
- 19:07 CET Russia on track for World Cup 2018, say FIFA inspectors
- 17:47 CET West Indies board meet for crisis talks after India legal threat
- 16:10 CET Puig wins WTA’s Rising Stars tournament
- 16:03 CET Trimble and Marshall to miss Ireland internationals
- 15:23 CET Drop Balotelli for Liverpool’s Real clash, says Carragher
- 14:52 CET Tuilagi to miss England’s November internationals
- 13:41 CET Van Gaal’s United not good enough, says Neville