A car has plowed through a hikers parade in Virginia, USA. Between 50-60 injuries were reported.
Witnesses say an elderly man was behind the wheel when the car accelerated and struck the crowd. He claims he has no memory of it. Police are investigating whether he suffered a medical problem.
It occurred at the annual Trail Days festival held in Damascus near the Tennessee state line. A young eyewitness described the moment the car hit the parade.
“We heard screams behind us, and he sort of pushed us out of the way of it, and all of us, we all looked back and saw…misery”
Mayor Jack McCrady announced that a donation fund was being set up for the injured, some of whom have no medical insurance.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Israeli authorities discuss a halt on returning attackers’ bodies
Wires > News
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:36 CET Russia’s FSB says arrests group planning attack in Moscow region -…
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force