Denmark has won this year’s Eurovision Song Contest. Azerbaijan finished second and Ukraine came third.
The number one slot was always pencilled in for the Danes, with the bookies giving incredibly short odds (around 4 to 6) on Denmark from the beginning of the week. They leapt ahead in the voting from an early stage and never lost pole position.
The tension was supplied by Azerbaijan and Ukraine who were neck and neck for most of the voting, several times swapping places.
The winning entry was Emmelie de Forest (see picture and song video below) with Only Teardrops. She sang her Shakira-esque song à la Sandy Shaw (bare-footed) wearing a draggle-tail frock in a fashionable nude colour.
The contest had its fair share of sincere artists singing heartfelt songs, but Eurovision aficionados were not disappointed with the glitz and sheer over-the-top campness on display.
Disappointment for UK and Romania
The outright winner ought (in this journalist’s eyes and ears) to have been Romania. The Romanian singer, Cezar, sang It’s My Life in operatic falsetto, wearing a black velvet dressing gown apparently borrowed from Liberace, decorated with an Elizabethan jewelled collar, while dancers wearing nude-alike bodysuits writhed in all directions. The Greek entry was also a fine upholder of Eurovision tradition; dressed in monochrome football strips they apparently performed a Bavarian folksong complete with accordions and jolly stamping.
Sadly, the UK’s effort by Bonnie Tyler (pictured below) fell into the ‘serious’ camp and was virtually ignored in the voting, coming 19th with 23 points. The Irish contingent however made a noteworthy contribution to Eurovision iconography with a troupe of topless, tattooed, sweating drummers who had the honour of carrying off the bottom place.
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Wires > News
- 22:05 CET France, Belgium widen probe into Paris attacks, Hollande wins …
- 21:40 CET Obama, Hollande urge Russia to focus Syria attacks on Islamic State
- 21:23 CET Apparent suicide attack on Tunisian presidential guard bus kills 12
- 21:22 CET Landmine kills U.N. peacekeeper in Mali
- 21:10 CET Taking of hostages in northern France not linked to Paris attacks…
- 20:25 CET Despite security fears, Germans aim to enjoy Christmas market…
- 20:08 CET Turkey downs Russian warplane near Syria border
- 19:54 CET Ex-Wall Street banker Simsek to lead Turkish economy in new cabinet