Denmark has won this year’s Eurovision Song Contest. Azerbaijan finished second and Ukraine came third.
The number one slot was always pencilled in for the Danes, with the bookies giving incredibly short odds (around 4 to 6) on Denmark from the beginning of the week. They leapt ahead in the voting from an early stage and never lost pole position.
The tension was supplied by Azerbaijan and Ukraine who were neck and neck for most of the voting, several times swapping places.
The winning entry was Emmelie de Forest (see picture and song video below) with Only Teardrops. She sang her Shakira-esque song à la Sandy Shaw (bare-footed) wearing a draggle-tail frock in a fashionable nude colour.
The contest had its fair share of sincere artists singing heartfelt songs, but Eurovision aficionados were not disappointed with the glitz and sheer over-the-top campness on display.
Disappointment for UK and Romania
The outright winner ought (in this journalist’s eyes and ears) to have been Romania. The Romanian singer, Cezar, sang It’s My Life in operatic falsetto, wearing a black velvet dressing gown apparently borrowed from Liberace, decorated with an Elizabethan jewelled collar, while dancers wearing nude-alike bodysuits writhed in all directions. The Greek entry was also a fine upholder of Eurovision tradition; dressed in monochrome football strips they apparently performed a Bavarian folksong complete with accordions and jolly stamping.
Sadly, the UK’s effort by Bonnie Tyler (pictured below) fell into the ‘serious’ camp and was virtually ignored in the voting, coming 19th with 23 points. The Irish contingent however made a noteworthy contribution to Eurovision iconography with a troupe of topless, tattooed, sweating drummers who had the honour of carrying off the bottom place.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 3Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 4Exclusive: EU should create immigrant processing centre in Turkey, says German minister
- 5New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
Turkey: President approves interim cabinet
Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
Hurricane Katrina: Bush goes back to New Orleans
Wires > News
- 06:29 CET Weekend of protests set to pile pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 06:10 CET Pensioner killed in Venezuela supermarket melee, opposition says
- 02:05 CET Libyan drownings, lorry of corpses drive up migrant toll
- 23:59 CET Venezuela’s Maduro to visit China, Vietnam for finance deals
- 23:38 CET U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Germany for training deployment
- 22:06 CET U.S.‘s Biden speaks with Ukrainian President Poroshenko about…
- 21:53 CET Policeman killed by blast in Bahrain village – interior ministry
- 21:20 CET Greek poll shows Syriza leftists leading conservatives