The Eurovision Song Contest returns to its spiritual home this week, as host city Malmö gets ready to transform itself into the
‘capital of kitsch’.
Expecting as many as 100,000 visitors this weekend, the Malmö tourist office is ‘rolling out the pink carpet’ with scheduled performances from local artistes at the Eurovillage, based in the city’s centre.
There, lucky punters might also get a glimpse of Swedish singer Carola, who won the competition in 1991. As the star explains, this not only proved a momentous moment for her but also imprinted Eurovision into the hearts and minds of the Swedish people, forever more: “With that breakthrough that I had when I was 16 that was so incredibly strong actually really turned my whole life around from when I was 16 years old I will always in Scandinavia be remembered for that and probably in other Eurovision countries too.”
In the wake of several low ranking performances over the last decade, Sweden took emergency measures; installing an international jury of experts to ensure the people’s choice-entry also appealed to Europe as a whole.
Cue controversy this year, when the jury vetoed the public’s pick – Yohio, an an androgynous 17-year-old who likes to wear Lolita dresses – instead pinning the nation’s hopes of victory on Robin Stjernberg.
- 1Bitola: from macchiatos to mosaics
- 2‘Just extraordinary’ – Martha Argerich and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra pay homage to Claudio Abbado
- 3Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
- 4Sufragette – a film which reflects a milestone in British history
- 5Much more than a concert hall – insights from the Chairman of Philharmonie de Paris
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid