16/05/13 02:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
America’s Attorney General has been grilled by lawmakers over the secret seizure of phone records from the Associated Press news agency.
Eric Holder told the House Judiciary Committee that he was not involved in the leak investigation that prompted the seizure – and so the decision was not his.
Committee Chairman, Republican Bob Goodlatte, asked: “There has been a lot of criticism raised about the scope of this investigation including why the department needed to subpoena records for 20 people over a lengthy two month period. Why was such a broad scope approved?”
Holder replied: “The matter is being supervised by the deputy attorney general. I am not familiar with the reasons why the subpoena was constructed in the way that it was because I’m simply not a part of the case.”
The seizure has been branded by some as a gross intrusion into press freedom.
It came as investigators were trying to establish whether an unauthorised leak led to a report about an operation that stopped a Yemen-based al Qaeda plot to bomb an America-bound aeroplane.
Holder said on Tuesday that he recused himself from the matter to avoid a potential conflict of interest because he was interviewed by the FBI as part of the same leak probe.
Latest world news
Brazil: Senate committee approves report recommending Rousseff’s impeachment
Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
Sadiq Khan set to become London’s first Muslim mayor
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Wires > News
- 00:20 CET Images show possible preparations for North Korea nuclear test -…
- 22:14 CET Turkish journalists jailed for five years, hours after courthouse…
- 20:38 CET Panama Papers source breaks silence, denies being a spy -…
- 20:27 CET China takes first step in $1 billion pledge to U.N. to fund peace…
- 20:25 CET Egypt gives Italy phone records of union chief – source
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…
- 19:40 CET Brazil Senate committee votes for Rousseff to stand trial