The UN General Assembly has condemned Syrian regime forces and praised the country’s opposition.
Although the Qatar-drafted resolution was passed, it was given less support than a similar declaration last year.
Diplomats think it is a sign of growing unease about extremism among Syria’s rebel movement. There is also a perception that foreign governments are engineering a regime change.
“Adopting this resolution will send a clear message that the political solution we all seek is the best way to end the suffering of the people of Syria,” said
Rosemary Dicarlo, US Deputy Ambassador to the UN.
“We support this resolution, have co-sponsored it and urged member states to vote in favour of it.”
Alexander Pankin, Russian Deputy Ambassador to the UN, added: “This document, just like the two similar documents adopted in 2012, is clearly a one-sided text. The full responsibility for the tragic development of events is being put on the shoulders of the Syrian government.”
Meanwhile, rebels have reportedly launched an assault on a prison in the northern city of Aleppo.
It is claimed some were injured or killed when government forces fought back.
Anti-government activists are said to be among the inmates held at the jail.
Latest world news
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido ‘very well’ after kidnap ordeal ends
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Philippine troops kill 54 Islamist militants in the south
- 13:44 CET Germany plans draft law on nuclear storage costs in August
- 13:43 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister criticizes Petrobras probe -…
- 13:36 CET China protests to Indonesia over seizure of fishing vessel
- 13:33 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 13:33 CET Suspected al Shabaab fighters kill 3 village elders in Kenya -…
- 13:32 CET German police hold flights at Cologne-Bonn airport over security…
- 13:27 CET Chinese worker wounded in Pakistani bomb attack