Shoppers are used to seeing the traditional, lithesome outline of a fixed-sized mannequin in high-street windows, showcasing the latest fashions.
But a Hong Kong research team has created a figure capable of shifting length, curve and dimension, depending on a customer’s shape. The i.Dummy only takes up to eight seconds to go from large to small, and back again, whilst width, thickness and length can be altered simultaneously.
In the course of the study, however, researchers encountered a crucial problem. How could they establish a way of measuring the growth from one size to another accurately, and in proportion?
Dr Allan Chan, Associate Professor of Textiles and Clothing at the Hong Polytechnic University, explains: “For example, when one person gets bigger, all the curve measurement and so on will not be in the same proportion. So we have to calculate and study different people. When we study the American size chart, we study the European, we study the Japanese and also, as well as the Hong Kong female body profile. And from there, we can get the right proportion. When one size grows to another size, so in terms of the curve as well as the length.”
This ability to mimic different body profiles means the i.Dummy is also an excellent educational and training tool for students of fashion design and pattern development.
But perhaps most important of all, the i.Dummy can be easily controlled via a user-friendly computer interface, so potential clients can input their measurements online. And this means you don’t have to brave the stuffy, sweaty dressing rooms of congested shopping centres, in order to find yourself the perfect fit.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast