Chelsea are the new Europa League champions after beating Benfica 2-1 at the Amsterdam Arena. Fernando Torres rolled the ball into the net 15 minutes into the second half, however Chelsea’s lead lasted only nine minutes before a penalty shot from Oscar Cardozo blasted the ball straight past Cech.
Victory meant Chelsea is amongst a small group of clubs to win the European Cup, Europa League and the now defunct Cup Winners’ Cup.
Benfica, smarting from Saturday’s 2-1 defeat by Porto in their domestic title showdown, started the game the brighter of the two teams and Paraguayan sharpshooter Cardozo headed over from close range in the second minute.
Chelsea gradually began to string some passes together and Torres put them in front with a goal reminiscent of his wonder strike in last season’s Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.
A flick in the centre circle from Mata sent the Spaniard streaking clear and he calmly rounded Artur before slotting the ball into an empty net from a tight angle. Torres marked his goal by dropping to his knees and celebrating in Usain Bolt fashion by pointing his right arm skywards. Cardozo levelled for Benfica, driving the ball straight down the middle of the goal from the penalty spot after Cesar Azpilicueta handled in the area.
Both teams drove forward in search of the winner but it was a header from Branislav Ivanovic during injury time that decided this final and made sure interim manager Rafa Benitez picked up his first trophy as Chelsea boss.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:59 CET England’s Lanka loss worse than Kiwi crushing – Atherton
- 11:07 CET Former European champion Welp dead at 51
- 09:05 CET Dortmund’s Subotic turns down Serbia return
- 07:47 CET Cummins an injury doubt, Faulkner nears Australia return
- 07:27 CET Strong bench key to South Africa’s World Cup campaign
- 06:32 CET Broken arm ends Crusader Fruean’s season
- 04:32 CET Watson critics crank up heat after latest false start
- 04:17 CET Carter sets season mark in shot put at U.S. champs