Chelsea are the new Europa League champions after beating Benfica 2-1 at the Amsterdam Arena. Fernando Torres rolled the ball into the net 15 minutes into the second half, however Chelsea’s lead lasted only nine minutes before a penalty shot from Oscar Cardozo blasted the ball straight past Cech.
Victory meant Chelsea is amongst a small group of clubs to win the European Cup, Europa League and the now defunct Cup Winners’ Cup.
Benfica, smarting from Saturday’s 2-1 defeat by Porto in their domestic title showdown, started the game the brighter of the two teams and Paraguayan sharpshooter Cardozo headed over from close range in the second minute.
Chelsea gradually began to string some passes together and Torres put them in front with a goal reminiscent of his wonder strike in last season’s Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.
A flick in the centre circle from Mata sent the Spaniard streaking clear and he calmly rounded Artur before slotting the ball into an empty net from a tight angle. Torres marked his goal by dropping to his knees and celebrating in Usain Bolt fashion by pointing his right arm skywards. Cardozo levelled for Benfica, driving the ball straight down the middle of the goal from the penalty spot after Cesar Azpilicueta handled in the area.
Both teams drove forward in search of the winner but it was a header from Branislav Ivanovic during injury time that decided this final and made sure interim manager Rafa Benitez picked up his first trophy as Chelsea boss.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 3Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 4Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 5Michel Platini’s plans for football rule changes get the euronews once-over
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 8Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 15:54 CET Former Real forward Raul joins New York Cosmos
- 15:40 CET West Ham sweat on Sakho fitness as Carroll returns
- 15:38 CET Schalke’s Uchida signs contract extension to 2018
- 15:17 CET Younus, Ali bat Pakistan into box seat
- 14:39 CET Bath’s new convert Burgess plays down England talk
- 13:35 CET Hamburg file complaint against pitch invader
- 13:08 CET Under-fire Singapore retain Suzuki Cup hosting rights
- 12:58 CET Belgian club allows Meyiwa’s team mate to attend funeral