Chelsea are the new Europa League champions after beating Benfica 2-1 at the Amsterdam Arena. Fernando Torres rolled the ball into the net 15 minutes into the second half, however Chelsea’s lead lasted only nine minutes before a penalty shot from Oscar Cardozo blasted the ball straight past Cech.
Victory meant Chelsea is amongst a small group of clubs to win the European Cup, Europa League and the now defunct Cup Winners’ Cup.
Benfica, smarting from Saturday’s 2-1 defeat by Porto in their domestic title showdown, started the game the brighter of the two teams and Paraguayan sharpshooter Cardozo headed over from close range in the second minute.
Chelsea gradually began to string some passes together and Torres put them in front with a goal reminiscent of his wonder strike in last season’s Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.
A flick in the centre circle from Mata sent the Spaniard streaking clear and he calmly rounded Artur before slotting the ball into an empty net from a tight angle. Torres marked his goal by dropping to his knees and celebrating in Usain Bolt fashion by pointing his right arm skywards. Cardozo levelled for Benfica, driving the ball straight down the middle of the goal from the penalty spot after Cesar Azpilicueta handled in the area.
Both teams drove forward in search of the winner but it was a header from Branislav Ivanovic during injury time that decided this final and made sure interim manager Rafa Benitez picked up his first trophy as Chelsea boss.
- 1Bolt and Gatlin ready for 200 metre final at Beijing
- 2Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
- 3Double gold win for Japan at World Judo Championships
- 4IAAF Championships Beijing: Two Kenyan runners test positive for doping
- 5Flores wins in Tahiti five years after last major surf victory
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 5Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 8Why World Elephant Day matters
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
- 20Who are the six EU countries with shortest memories on migration?
Messi named Europe’s best player
Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
Vuelta a Espana: Chaves reclaims the overall race lead with stage six success
Trstenjak and Nagase win gold on day four of Judo World Championships
Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
Wires > Sport
- 23:22 CET Valencia sign Brazilian centre back Santos from Braga
- 23:14 CET Serena insists pressure not a factor in Grand Slam bid
- 22:56 CET Analysis – Champions League takes on less predictable look
- 21:40 CET Burnley swoop for ‘bad boy’ Barton
- 21:21 CET FIFA disowns ‘girls in schools’ and Blatter comments by reform…
- 20:58 CET Serena faces strong home challenge at U.S. Open
- 19:51 CET Mourinho faces Porto clash in Champions League
- 19:02 CET Ivory Coast leave Toure out of Nations Cup squad